New Digital Camera Help

Paul_D

I use UV filters to protect the lens, and I also have a neutral densityx8 - this one allows me to blur water, something photoshop cant do. Next on the list is a circular polariser, but I'll save up for that after Christmas.

I must admit that I prefer to use photoshop to correct or resize etc as opposed to creating what was not there, I know its frequently done by many photographers but I like to do it at or with the camera in the first place. So yes..I use filters and I have no doubt my collection will grow with time.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed, they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

Ha Ha - thats a good one Pete.

Circular Polarizing filter is a fantastic aid for landscapes, especially for bringing out the clouds and emphasizing the difference in colours between the sky and water. It can produce fantastic results.

If you dont have an ND filter, and you want to blur some water ... just take the shots when its getting dark (or getting bright but a wee bit dark), you can use a slower shutter speed then and not have to worry to much about overexposing the rest of the image, this is what I used to do before I got an ND. But an ND filter is much much better for this kind of situation gives you much more scope throughout the day as it lets you play with your exposure for water blurring etc.

One tip when taking longer exposures is to preferably do it not on a windy day, otherwise you get blurred grass, leaves or trees.

Phil, I'd be lost without my filters ... love the Cokin P system, very cheap compared to screw on filters ... the ND filters can be pretty delicate though and scratch easy ... but not to much of a problem. I got a Polarizing filter for my 18-55mm lens ... they are pretty pricey for what you get .... instead of wasting money on one for each lens size, I just got the Cokin sytem one so its fits my 58mm, 72mm, 82mm glass sizes that I used it sometimes with.

Some of the best photorgaphers I know says she would be lost without her Cokin system.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed, they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.

I do have a feeling that you may come to regret that comment Pete..:D

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Thanks for that ayjay..good for those that need them. A little more of interest on that page is if you click on iexif at the top of the page, you can download another little exif viewer, his one also allows copy and paste of exif info into posts here..which is handy.

Download and install, then right click on a picture either on the web or on your hard drive and then click "View Exif/GPS/IPTC with IExif" and if it has exif info attached to the image it will read it and show it to you. Very handy little freeware application.

Thanks for the page link Ayjay..:)

Focal Planet