Photo Of The Day.

Guest Ferret1959

was bringing in my washing and this butterfly was just sat on the tab of one of my t-shirts .so ran in and got camera just on the off chance that it will still be there and it was

P1000154-2.jpg

Been a while since I posted pictures on here. Ah well here it comes,photography and a history lesson. Are you sitting comfortably? On the drive over to our caravan the route takes us parallel with Hadrians wall. On the last trip we decided to stop and have a stoll around the wall,cameras in hand.

Here is a very brief history of the wall to the uninitiated -

Hadrians Wall is ancient Roman stone and masonry wall, 119 km (74 mi) long, about 6 m (about 20 ft) high, and about 2.4 m (about 8 ft) thick, traversing Great Britain from Solway Firth to the estuary of the Tyne River. Built about ad 121–26 by Emperor Hadrian of Rome to protect the northern border of Roman Britain against hostile tribes, the wall linked a series of heavily garrisoned forts and fortified sentry posts. It also demarcated the frontier of Roman civil jurisdiction. A military road ran along the south side of the wall; parts of it are still standing.

Here is a picture of the wall itself

stones26.jpg

We also stopped at Chesters Fort for a couple of hours. It was one of their major garrisons on the wall. Here are a selection of shots I took there.

1-123.jpg

2-101.jpg

3-86.jpg

4-74.jpg

They had a better central heating system 2000 years ago than some of us have now !!!!

John

Thanks for sharing, John. I recall Winston Churchill writing that Europe had nothing to equal the Roman hypocaust heating system until the late 19th century. Great photos. I had no idea that the wall was in such good shape after nearly 2,000 years.

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

That's a real nice one of the Candlestick Chef you should put that one in the competition.

Did you get any of the Vulcan or any of the other aircraft displaying during the Weekend? It was nice to watch !

Here's one of the few I took.

Vulcan_xh558_crop.jpg

and the Hawker Hunter..

hunter_2.jpg

Edited by Rich_