Photo Of The Day.

Guest Ferret1959

What an adventure Bobj,wish I had been there :rolleyes: Apart from the birdlife what other animals did you see ? Are there many camels in that part of oz? I here they can be a problem. I was always on the lookout for snakes when I was up north,seen two and I was not too keen :o Soft pommie eh !!!

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

What an adventure Bobj,wish I had been there :rolleyes: Apart from the birdlife what other animals did you see ? Are there many camels in that part of oz? I here they can be a problem. I was always on the lookout for snakes when I was up north,seen two and I was not too keen :o Soft pommie eh !!!

John

G'day mate, odd you should mention the camels. Never saw any, but came across camel tracks out from Cloncurry. Saw a few water buffaloes in the Top End, a few snakes, lotsa 'roos and wallabies (naturally), a dingo crossing the road in front of us, somewhere in the desert. Millions of cockatoos, galahs, corellas and black cockatoos, 2 crocs on the Ord river, north of Kununurra, but they were only freshies and budgies coming in to drink at a desert waterhole.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Onya mate. Would love to have one of those paphiopedilums... ;) The slipper orchid, but they and cymbidiums are cold weather orchids and won't flower in the tropics.

Some more pics:

Heading to Lake Argyle, WA.

2010Trip048.jpg

Sunset in the desert.

2010Trip245.jpg

Dundee Beach, got a queenie off those rocks.

2010Trip137.jpg

Zebra finches feeding in the NT desert.

2010Trip227.jpg

A beaut camp, George Ck near Robin Falls, NT (some 15 km south of Adelaide River township)

water was pure enough to drink and deep enough to have cooling baths....and catch spangled perch.

2010Trip140.jpg

Zebra stone in situ. It is mesa country, scree slopes 200 metres high and the Z. stone is at the bottom of a 10 metre cliff on top of the scree...And it was 37 C.

2010Trip067.jpg

That is only 1 of 2 known deposits in the world. T'other is near Kununurra, WA.

Whoa, that is a serious bit of geology. looks like a period of uplift followed by a megaflood, any news on that ?

Whoa, that is a serious bit of geology. looks like a period of uplift followed by a megaflood, any news on that ?

All I know is that it is pre cambrian, upper protorozoic and that there are a very few jellyfish fossils on top of all that, aged tentatively at 620my old. Definitely looks to be plenty of floods that time.

The thing is that no one has any idea on the manner of formation of the zebra stone.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Wow, its really cool stuff.

Found an explaination here.

http://www.earthmuseum.see.uwa.edu.au/__da...Zebra_Rock2.pdf

More likely its some sort of barcode left by space aliens for us to work out when we get clever enough. It'll probably say "Planet for rent, 4 trillion galactic credits per calender month, payable in arrears"

Beautiful shot of a beautiful (and interesting) bird Chris, they are insect eaters but switch to eating seed in wintertime when insects are scarce, they also eat grit in wintertime to facilitate grinding up the seeds.

We have a small resident population down here at Keyhaven but they don't show themselves much at this time of year. Much easier to see on a sunny windless morning in winter.

Is the Lesser Redpoll an English bird? I've never heard of them before.

Lesser Redpoll is a breeding species in the UK, more common in the North during the breeding season and tending to move South in winter, numbers are also augmented by birds migrating here in winter when there are also Common (Mealy) Redpolls and the very much rarer Arctic Redpoll to be found.

Dragonfly season is just getting going again, first Damselflies over my pond yesterday, Large Red Damselfy - Pyrrhosoma nymphula

IMG_0978-c-r-f.jpg

Really enjoy looking at this thread :thumbs: Some more cracking photos as usual. With a bit of luck will be posting up a few shots from the Mull of Galloway shortly. We are heading over to our caravan on Thursday for a 3 week stint :D

Have got a few sunrise shots over there in mind so that will be a 3am start then !!! :camera:

John

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy