Photo Of The Day.

Guest Ferret1959

Finally, after 4 months of wind, clouds and 55 inches of rain, the sun came out......

Cape Hillsborough.

Cheeky242.jpg

we would be ecstatic if we could get 55 mils of rain. Nice pic, you been on holiday or is that local.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

we would be ecstatic if we could get 55 mils of rain. Nice pic, you been on holiday or is that local.

Only 1 km from home. And, yes, I'm always on holiday :thumbs:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Caught these fine fellows enjoying a little early springtime sun.

critters-1.jpg

This nice looking little stream is on the grounds of the Reed Gold Mine not too far from our house. Back in the mid 1800s a local boy was there fishing. The fishing report is that he blanked but he did find a largish gold nugget in the stream and later established a gold mine there. It was active well before the more famous California gold rush later that centuary. The nugget weighed slightly over 17 pounds.

gold-stream.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Caught these fine fellows enjoying a little early springtime sun.

This nice looking little stream is on the grounds of the Reed Gold Mine not too far from our house. Back in the mid 1800s a local boy was there fishing. The fishing report is that he blanked but he did find a largish gold nugget in the stream and later established a gold mine there. It was active well before the more famous California gold rush later that centuary. The nugget weighed slightly over 17 pounds.

Beautiful, Newt, love those old tales of gold mines.........And I want to know, with all that understorey, how come Daniel Day-Lewis didn't fall R sover tit at the beginning of the film "Last Of The Mohicans" when he was chasing the deer??? :headhurt:

Edited by Bobj

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

I dunno.

The area was apparently loaded with largish nuggets at or near the surface at one time. One area is know as the 'potato patch' because of the number of nuggets about the size of an irish potato that were found.

The serious gold was found in veins of quartz though and the main mine is all 'hard rock'. I took my grandson on one of the guided tours. The shafts were enlarged when the mine became a tourist attraction rather than a working mine from the original 2ft wide and 5ft tall that the miners dealt with but remain at the same max depth of 50 feet required since they did not have pumps and the water table there is just below 50 feet. Google for "Reed Gold Mine" if you want more info.

hardrock-mine.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Smallcrow.jpg

Can't think of a comment :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic