Photo Of The Day.

Guest Ferret1959

It's been a bit gloomy hereabouts for the last few days, making piccy taking hard work, but I did get this Blackheaded Gull to pose for me whilst I was out working. It's a tad noisy as it was handheld & I was using ISO800, but hey, it's my photo of yesterday :) .

blackheadedgull_1.jpg

OK OK, I was that close I could've gone with ISO100 & used flash, but I only thought of that when I got home. :(

Exposure Time = 1/320"

F Number = F8

Exposure Program = Aperture priority

ISO Speed Ratings = 800

Edited by Steve Randles

Hi People, very new to this site, spend a lot of time at sea fishing site. However, fishing is one of those hobbies that lends itself to a few pics., I do list photography as one of two main hobbies.

Thought I would share this one with you, nothing don except a little croping and a touch of sharpen, no colour change. Photo was taken 10 miles off Felixstowe, we were on a marke East of the Rough Towers, as can be seen the weather was far from rough, time would have been about 5pm, 2/1/06.

Still to my shame, I used my Cannon S50, I have a Nikon D100 and appropriate lenses at home. The problem is, a fishing trip already has its pharaphinalia, to ad another 10lb or so of SLR . . . then I kick myself when a photo oportunity like this come up

towersunsetphoto7mt.jpg

Phew nearly messes that up, forgot to resize :o

Exposure Time = 1/60"

F Number = F2.8

No ISO recorded

:ph34r:

Edited by Steve Randles

Beautiful shot CJ, it must've been fabulous to witness that sunset 1st hand.

As for not lugging along your SLR & kit along with your fishing gear - I know just what you mean, I had a similar dilemma a few months ago.

When I go fishing I always try & take a few photo's. Recently I've got more & more interested in wildlife photography & a few months ago I realised that, when fishing, I wanted to be off looking for photo opportunities rather than watching my float and I finished up not doing justice to either interest :( . So now, I leave my fishing gear at home & just take the camera :D & I'm loving it. So I'm currently taking a break from fishing until my enthusiasm for the sport returns.

In the meantime, I'm walking miles & if it moves, snapping it. I caught this swan peeking at me out of the gloom today.

mute_swan1.jpg

Exposure Time = 1/40"

F Number = F9

ISO Speed Ratings = 200

Edited by Steve Randles

'Rabster', like the swan, what were the setting, looks like it is a fast lense? Problem is I still love my boat, fishing and photography. I have to accept that I am an oportunist photograper, sounds better than a 'Snaper'! :o However, with some encouragement things may change. Down the marina for an hour or two tomorow, might see if I can find a 'tree' to cuddle, and talk to nicely, it might pose for a competition shot? :lol:

'Rabster', like the swan, what were the setting, looks like it is a fast lense?

CJ, the Swan was taken in quite gloomy conditions, handheld at ISO200, F9 & 1/40th sec shutter speed.

The sun came out today, so, for the 1st time with my new camera, I managed to use fast shutter speeds & snapped this gull on the wing (& screwed up several much better poses whilst I was at it) : -

gull_1.jpg

Has anyone else got a POTD? Or is it just me & CJ?

Exposure Time = 1/1000"

F Number = F8

ISO Speed Ratings = 200

Edited by Steve Randles

Rabster, the gull is great, just shows some good pics can be had in the simplest of situatons. I assume you were not hanging off the edg of a cliff by your figernails, the only saft rope, the braces you had for Xmas :o:lol:

This one was from the same lake where I got the "tree" shot for the current challenge.

land3.jpg

Exposure Time = 1/40"

F Number = F11

ISO Speed Ratings = 100

Edited by Steve Randles

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet