Photo Of The Day.

Guest Ferret1959

Instead I've been messing in photoshop with a few recent photos. This one is from a week or two ago & is of my Grandaughter having great fun chasing soap bubbles - it would seem my cameras Autofocus was also chasing the bubbles and in this shot the bubble is in focus & Granddaughter is slightly out of focus, so I've used Photoshop to 1)create a duplicate layer 2) Desaturate & 3) Used the eraser tool to bring back colour to the bubble.

I actually prefer the original, full colour piccy, but thought someone maybe interested in the method used.

Voila

Hey Rabster, this looks very effective but I would have liked to have seen the full colour shot with the bubble in black and white. That would have put just that little more emphasis on the bubble than in the original photo.

Ayjay, that moon shot is incredible and done on a compact camera too, so you can't add lenses to compacts can you, we have been talking about this recently, but you have just sat this camera behind a spotting scope, what is that?

Couldn't find CJ's sunset :(

Steve, I am struggling a little with working out the time differences here, I posted this at 10:44am Tuesday morning the 17th, and the time on the post is Today 12:14am, is that Tuesday? So that makes us (South Australia) 10 and a half hours in front of you. Does that sound right to you?

Tracy.

Edited by TubularBelle
I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

Guest Finepix

Took this in Woking the other week whilst the kids were at Panto - 'Oh yes they were' :lol:

Anyway, taken with the Fuji Finepix as I was still sussing out the Canon at the time...

Sculpted by a chap called Michael Condron (a graduate of Central Saint Martins Arts College in London).

warofworlds6cf.jpg

Exposure Time = 1/100"

F Number = F3.1

Exposure Program = Aperture priority

Edited by Steve Randles

Took this in Woking the other week whilst the kids were at Panto - 'Oh yes they were' :lol:

Anyway, not taken with the Fuji Finepix as I was still sussing out the Canon at the time...

Sculpted by a chap called Michael Condron (a graduate of Central Saint Martins Arts College in London).

warofworlds6cf.jpg

I bet he listens to "War of the Worlds", wow, Have the Martians arived but know one has told us, were you abducted 'Finepix'? ;)

Cliff :ph34r:

PS, how you getting on with the Canon?

Edited by CJS2

I am struggling a little with working out the time differences here, I posted this at 10:44am Tuesday morning the 17th, and the time on the post is Today 12:14am, is that Tuesday? So that makes us (South Australia) 10 and a half hours in front of you.

I get confused too. Easiest for me was to set the time in my profile to match my local (GMT -5) which makes a fairly easy conversion to UK time. However, I never can keep OZ time clear in my mind so I've downloaded and installed a nice little utility that will put an easily accessed world clock on my system. I know that I am GMT-5, the UK is GMT, and I have the new utility set at GMT+10. I make it to be 23:00 where you are right now at 13:00 local and 18:00 UK.

http://www.instanttimezone.com/

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Finepix
I bet he listens to "War of the Worlds", wow, Have the Martians arived but know one has told us, were you abducted 'Finepix'? ;)

Cliff :ph34r:

PS, how you getting on with the Canon?

Oops, forgot to mention that! Woking is the original birthplace of War of the Worlds, hence the sculpture.

It's pretty big, see here post-6938-1137522010_thumb.jpg

The Canon is really cool, enjoying it a lot. Been playing around with it indoors more than out though. The lighting at the moment is crxp! Can't wait for Spring. I know you shouldn't wish your life away, but I really need some decent weather so I can take the kind of images I'm used to taking.

:)

Thanks for that Newt,

So from UK GMT to New South Wales EST is 11+hours. South Australia is 1/2 an hour behind that. Will try and set my clock, it just gets a bit confusing because I am always trying to work out the comp starting and finishing times.

FinePix, I was wondering how big that structure was, thought maybe it just looked huge because of the angle you got it on. Personally I think the second photo looks better. I am finding with the comp entries that I am compelled to zoom in on the subject as much as possible but you lose a lot of the 'character' of the photo, I'm sure there is a more suitable photographic term for what I am trying to say here, if you can enlighten me I would be gratefull. Like with my 2nd entry I am working on, I definitely prefer the 'before' shot but still feel like I have to zoom in more. It is quite frustrating. I am becoming a little too focused on having things point right to the corner of the picture etc, like say a road for example, or lining up a wall or piece of furniture or something with the edge of the picture. I might actually be ruining the more 'natural' look of the photo by wanting to do this, do you know what I mean? Can't decide whether to enter my before or after shot now. Great Pic by the way, is that a permanent fixture?

Tracy. (Oops, forgot to log in first)

Edited by Hellbelly
rb_getcreative.gif

Guest Finepix
Thanks for that Newt,

So from UK GMT to New South Wales EST is 11+hours. South Australia is 1/2 an hour behind that. Will try and set my clock, it just gets a bit confusing because I am always trying to work out the comp starting and finishing times.

FinePix, I was wondering how big that structure was, thought maybe it just looked huge because of the angle you got it on. Personally I think the second photo looks better. I am finding with the comp entries that I am compelled to zoom in on the subject as much as possible but you lose a lot of the 'character' of the photo, I'm sure there is a more suitable photographic term for what I am trying to say here, if you can enlighten me I would be gratefull. Like with my 2nd entry I am working on, I definitely prefer the 'before' shot but still feel like I have to zoom in more. It is quite frustrating. I am becoming a little too focused on having things point right to the corner of the picture etc, like say a road for example, or lining up a wall or piece of furniture or something with the edge of the picture. I might actually be ruining the more 'natural' look of the photo by wanting to do this, do you know what I mean? Can't decide whether to enter my before or after shot now. Great Pic by the way, is that a permanent fixture?

Hi Tracy

I understand exactly what your trying to say. It's all about composition, the do's and don'ts etc...

I'm not incredibly good a explaining things, and with something like this it's important to get your facts right, so have a read of this .... http://photoinf.com/General/KODAK/guidelin...omposition.html

Hope it helps.

As for the sculpture, yes it's a permanent fixture. They have a few in Woking, including a lifesize plane!

Regarding my image, I prefer the close up but this is probably because I know the scultpure and have seen other images of it before. I wanted to get that feeling of the unknown, 'how big is it?' ' is it real?' 'what the hell is it?' :lol:

Bye for now - Julia.

Julia, many thanks indeed for that link to the composition site. Just what I need! :)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I am becoming a little too focused on having things point right to the corner of the picture etc, like say a road for example, or lining up a wall or piece of furniture or something with the edge of the picture.

There is nothing wrong with trying to be *more professional* with your composition, but one of the inevitable quirks of the competitions on here is that all the judges are amateurs who choose what they like the look of rather than what is possibly more technically *correct*. (And nothing wrong with that at all.) :thumbs: