Photo Of The Day.

Guest Ferret1959

wow ayjay you've captured some really great photos there fella... I especially like that last one, tho if you don't mind me saying they'd probably benefit from a one click 'auto levels' adjustment in the old digital darkroom just to give em that bit of pizazz.. :)

:clap2:

I can see what you mean, I think my eyes must have been tired last night cos it looked alright then. I've used auto-balance features in the past and they've always seemed to make things too dark, but here's the last pic auto-balanced:-

autogscut6bw.jpg

Lovely sharp pic Rabster, great depth of field too. Can I ask what lenses you use to get so close to them?

Steve...:)

Cheers Steve.

The pretty much permanent fixture on my camera is a Minolta AF 75-300mm, which came as part of the package when I bought my KM 5D. I'd love to get my hands on a Sigma 170-500mm to get just that bit closer, but pricewise they're out of my reach. As a compromise I've just bought a 2x converter off Ebay, although I think I'll need good light to use it as you lose a couple of f-stops.

As for my camera settings - I'm only a few months down the line with my dslr so these details may sound very basic/patronising to many of you, but in case they're of any use to anyone I'll add them anyway, here goes: -

I use Spot auto focus area & spot metering because generally it's just the bird I want in focus & exposed correctly. I also go with aperture priority and use as high an f-stop I can whilst retaining a reasonably fast shutter speed, especially if the subject is on the move.

The Robin shots are fairly easy, as they seem to crave attention & let you get up close to photo them. It's the other stuff I struggle with, but I keep on visiting places where I'm likely to get good birding photo opportunities & snapping away. When I get home I'm happy if I've only got a handful of keepers.

This reminded me of a spider's web! it is a looking up shot ,the lines are supertram overhead lines,not sure what I have done but can only get it to post at this size.I love taking pictures but seem to have a block as the manual settings are not making much sense at the moment :headhurt::headhurt:

crane.jpg

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

I can see what you mean, I think my eyes must have been tired last night cos it looked alright then. I've used auto-balance features in the past and they've always seemed to make things too dark, but here's the last pic auto-balanced:-

Morning Den.

At the risk of turning this into the Woody Woodpecker show, do you think your image looks a little better by adding a tad of unsharp mask, check out the white spots on the wing for instance.

gscutfiltered6yw.jpg

BTW - You lucky bugger getting Woodpeckers in your garden. The only greater spotteds we get are Starlings - which are definitely spotted in greater numbers than anything else! :(

Morning to you Rabs ????? did I comment on the woody? :)

While I am here though, I am very interested in that woody pic, I thought the original was a bit "soft", rather like the pics I used to get through my cheap scope or with my "not so cheap" £85 converter :angry:

I have a pic that needs sharpening up,I have already done a bit of work on it with the "sharpen" tool in Photosuite 3, perhaps someone can improve it with unsharp mask or whatever it is called :)

Sharpened491.jpg

And what is wrong with a bit of competition :)

Den :):)

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Morning to you Rabs ????? did I comment on the woody? :)

:doh::lol:

My mistake, I meant Ayjay.

So you also get Woody's in your garden <_< , that ain't fair. I'll have a dabble with you pic Den, but my photoshoppery skills are fairly limited.

We've got heavy snow here today, the cat chanced a quick jaunt down the garden, but soon turned around & came back in.

Say hello to Pebbles, our one eared, one eyed 18 year old puds.

pebbles_1203c.jpg

Hi puss :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

OI OI

DAN HAD PUT ON PICTURES OF FLOWERS, & A BAR-B-Q, THEY WERE THERE DONT KNOW WHAT HAPPEND TO THEM :(:(:(

Edited by merlino bill

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

Took a walk in the park today, looking for some inspiration for the Photo Challenge

This squirrel was quite obliging

squirrel2.jpg

squirrel.jpg

This tree caught my eye as it stood out so much from the ones around it, Very nearly chose this as one of my challenge entries,

biggesttree.jpg

The local enviromental protest seems to be taking off

treehouse.jpg

And finally, what vist to the park is complete without a game of fetch!

fetch.jpg

Mat

Mat