Anglesey Rivers

Guest tigger

I wonder if anyone has fished any rivers on or near to Anglesey North Wales? I'm not looking at doing any fly fishing at the moment but want to do some trotting and would like to know of any fellow anglers experience's fishing rivers on and around Anglesey (species of fish,permits, prices, etc ). Any help will be gratefully received.

cheers

Tigger.

• 1 month later...

Hi tigger, I've lived on Anglesey all my life and, to be honest, the river fishing is a bit rubbish. As far as I know (and I could be wrong here) there are no rivers on the island that hold coarse fish. You'll catch small brown trout on most, and the odd one you might catch sea trout in, but for the most part it's a dead loss. Beacause of this, it's generally easy to get to fish the rivers/streams, all you'll need is a standard rod licence (or migratory for sea trout) and the landowners permision.

In recent years I've turned my attention to the sea and have found SWFFing to be the best sport I've ever had in the area, if you're dead set on trotting though, most stretches of the Cefni river hold fish.

Best of Luck

John ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Hi tigger, I've lived on Anglesey all my life and, to be honest, the river fishing is a bit rubbish. As far as I know (and I could be wrong here) there are no rivers on the island that hold coarse fish. You'll catch small brown trout on most, and the odd one you might catch sea trout in, but for the most part it's a dead loss. Beacause of this, it's generally easy to get to fish the rivers/streams, all you'll need is a standard rod licence (or migratory for sea trout) and the landowners permision.

In recent years I've turned my attention to the sea and have found SWFFing to be the best sport I've ever had in the area, if you're dead set on trotting though, most stretches of the Cefni river hold fish.

Best of Luck

John ;)

Hi John,

thank's for your reply, i've only just seen it.

I was talking to the bailif at Llyn Alaw reservoir the other day and he reckons the river flowing out of it is good for trout and Rudd and as with the Cefni you can fish for free, just need a rod licence.

I also went on the mainland nr Caernarfon and had a look at a river and the first thing i saw was two Salmon about 12/15 lbs. I spoke to an old chap and he told me that it is £15 a day or £150 for the year. That covers you for three rivers and a few lakes apparentley.

I have only fished in the sea up to now but have had some nice Bass and plaice.

Forgive my ignorance but what's "SWFFing"?

cheers

Tigger.

Forgive my ignorance but what's "SWFFing"?

cheers

Tigger.

Salt Water Fly Fishing?

I don't know, this was just a guess!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Salt Water Fly Fishing?

I don't know, this was just a guess!

Yeah Alan, that sounds like agood guess, i thought it may be something to do with the "Swinging Scene :lol: "

Well if John see's this hopefully he can let us know what it stands for :)

Tigger.

Yeah Alan, that sounds like agood guess, i thought it may be something to do with the "Swinging Scene :lol: "

Tigger.

When I worked and lived in London SW1, we had a communal garden in the square, which had a tennis court. I used to watch Jimmy Connors wannabes (shows my age!) playing rubbish tennis, bu with alll the gear. I called it P-Fing. 'P' for Posey / Posing 'F' - well work it out!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Tigger.

I presume you mean this kind of swinging :yeah:

Salt Water Fly Fishing is right, once you've had a measly 2lb pollock nearly pull your arm out of it's socket there's no going back, plus it's entirely free (if you don't count the inevitable tackle hoarding).

Is the river you found near caernarfon the river Seiont?

I presume you mean this kind of swinging :yeah:

Salt Water Fly Fishing is right, once you've had a measly 2lb pollock nearly pull your arm out of it's socket there's no going back, plus it's entirely free (if you don't count the inevitable tackle hoarding).

Is the river you found near caernarfon the river Seiont?

Yeah (Seiont) i think that's the one John a cracking looking river.

You'll have to let me know when your out and about John.

Cheers

Tigger.

The Seiont is quite a well known Sea Trout river I think. It's where Matt Hayes catches his in 'The Great Rod Race' if you've seen that. I've never looked into prices because I always asumed that it would be prohibitively expensivebut If it's £150 for the year then that would be very interesting indeed.

The Seiont is quite a well known Sea Trout river I think. It's where Matt Hayes catches his in 'The Great Rod Race' if you've seen that. I've never looked into prices because I always asumed that it would be prohibitively expensivebut If it's £150 for the year then that would be very interesting indeed.

The old chap i spoke to told me that was the price of a season ticket and he was a member.

To be honest i thought it was very reasnable as it covers you for three rivers and a few lakes including a stock lake. I think a season ticket for Llyn Alaw is about £450 or more so incomparison to that it's more than reasnable.

I think a day ticket on the Seiont is £15 and they allow spinning/lures trotting a worm fly fishing etc.

cheers

Tigger.