Fishing.. I used to do that!

Phil the Fish

I looked in my little fishing note book the other day whist clearing up one of the rooms in the house ... last entry for me fishing was late August 2006!!! God knows where the time goes .. too much work, lack of money, apathy.. and online gaming all seem to have resulted in a lack of participation of that which is very dear to me .. drinking beer .. oops no wrong chat area .. I mean fishing....

So I dusted down my mullet gear ... and went off down to Littlehampton this friday ... nearly killed me getting up at 2.30am ... in order to sort myself out.. drive down and to start fishing around 5am... I was starting to remember where the apathy came from.. :lol:

Had a great time however - had a handful of tiny school bass (not what I wanted but that's life) ... I also had 4 mullet that I hooked and lost very rapidly - again not quite the plan :o .. but was wonderful seeing the fish in the surface waters all morning hitting the surface where the swan feathers where floating by and zooming in on the ground bait being thrown in .. and eventually just as the tide was pushing me off my spot I hooked and landed one of 3-06lb :D

Packed up and drove home for lunch and a long afternoon sleep.. I'd washed the landing net but I still had that distinctive smell of mullet in the car all the way home to remind me of my sucess..

I wasn't going to .. but i've had a look at the forecast and I think I'm off to the shops to go buy some bread for tomorrow (Sunday) .... uuum ... I may have the mullet bug again :lol:

Phil

Blimey! There's a name a recognise from waaaaaaay back when :) Welcome back, Phil.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I looked in my little fishing note book the other day whist clearing up one of the rooms in the house ... last entry for me fishing was late August 2006!!! God knows where the time goes .. too much work, lack of money, apathy.. and online gaming all seem to have resulted in a lack of participation of that which is very dear to me .. drinking beer .. oops no wrong chat area .. I mean fishing....

So I dusted down my mullet gear ... and went off down to Littlehampton this friday ... nearly killed me getting up at 2.30am ... in order to sort myself out.. drive down and to start fishing around 5am... I was starting to remember where the apathy came from.. :lol:

Had a great time however - had a handful of tiny school bass (not what I wanted but that's life) ... I also had 4 mullet that I hooked and lost very rapidly - again not quite the plan :o .. but was wonderful seeing the fish in the surface waters all morning hitting the surface where the swan feathers where floating by and zooming in on the ground bait being thrown in .. and eventually just as the tide was pushing me off my spot I hooked and landed one of 3-06lb :D

Packed up and drove home for lunch and a long afternoon sleep.. I'd washed the landing net but I still had that distinctive smell of mullet in the car all the way home to remind me of my sucess..

I wasn't going to .. but i've had a look at the forecast and I think I'm off to the shops to go buy some bread for tomorrow (Sunday) .... uuum ... I may have the mullet bug again :lol:

Phil

:D :D We've got our grand daughter for the weekend but reading your report on here has made me wonder if I can give her back early and get a couple of hour mulleting in. :rolleyes:

well I did go down this morning.. in the wind and rain .. but it cleared up within 10 mins of me parking my car :D

Fished from about 5.45am onwards ... had a handful of tiny bass again .. I'd have been very happy if the inches were pounds .. even with the 4" pint size one!!! That was capped off by a shanny .. what it was doing in the mid-flow and 2 foot from the surface I have no idea .. maybe it just found the bread too tempting and had to swim up from the depths!! lol

Had a couple of nice mullet splashing around in the shallows next to me ... could see their dorsal and tail fins .. reminded me of samon spawning ... no way were they interested in my bread offerings either free or on the hook :angry:

I finaly hooked and landed a mullet around 9am.. only problem .. it was all of 27cm from snout to fork :o

After this the flood seemed to kill everything .. didn't see any more fish .. and not a single bite .. even the school bass had gone on holiday .. after 2 hours of nothingness I decided to go home for lunch... cats were happy to see me .. and the wife even more so .. I'd managed to put her packet of ciggies down in the kitchen and she'd been climbing the walls trying to find them :rolleyes:

- I shall blame you Leon .. you got me into this mulleting madness in the first place :P

- Hello Elton .. nice to see things have progressed well here for you :D

- Hiya Jeff .. you'll be pleased to know that even before I picked up my rod .. I'd downloaded and sent off my NMC subs :lol: Did you manage to get out.. did you fair any better ... I'm sure you did :D

- Hi Norm ... if I remember right your mulleting stomping ground is pompy .. hope you had some luck too and your training your grand daughter in the fine art :lol:

- And a thank you to Janet :)

Phil

Edited by Phil the Fish

Phil,

I did see that you and Karen have rejoined the NMC-good to have you back on board.

Was that you by the big black boat shed as the tide was flooding ?Forgive me for not stopping for a chat but, I had a bit of a late start this morning after a rather busy night shift and .as I missed the last of the ebb tide,i decided to pursue my other passion-namely the pike from the same river ,but a few miles upstream.They're almost as much hard work as the mullet and my only take of the session was this tiddler who took a shine to my spinnerbait.Believe me-it's a BIG landing net.Pity that none of his bigger sisters were about.Despite being about 20 miles from the river mouth there were also a few thin-lips showing on the stretch where i was fishing-regular visitors to the area but never there in enough numbers to have a crack at .Great to watch though.

The shanny that you mention is also a common by- catch in the harbour area.I'm always amazed how these tiny little fellahs shoot the float down when they take the bread.Their takes are almost as aggressive as the little bass.

Jeff

post-11153-1218985142_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeff smith

no problem Jeff, I'm sure we'll catch-up at some stage... I'm going to try my best to come along to a couple of the remaining NMC fish-ins later this year...

I think if I added all my little tiddlers together they may have just about been the same size as your single :lol:

Yup it was an aggresive take and I did indeed think at first it was yet another little bass ... mind you it was a nice shade of green rather than the dirty brown of Leon's avatar :P

Phil