Ethernet switch

n4lly

What with all these smart devices nowadays.

I would like to connect 1 x PC. 1 x Smart Blueray player and Smart TV all at the same time.

Therefore not having to use one device at a time.

Any pit falls running pc (just surfing, no streaming involved) and stream Netflix via the blueray player.

Can anyone recommend a switch and any advise re performance, streaming slow downs etc.

Cheers.

I have a maplin local so can pop in tomorrow, but its full of spotty oiks so not sure on their advise LOL Rather trust my learned fishing buddies 1a.gif

1509tarpon_75_.gif

Why a switch? Doesn't your router have sufficient network ports? Most have four these days.

Depending on your ISP. And your bandwidth your performance will be relative.

For exemplar I tend to get about 4.5 meg which is enough for the missus and I to both stream at the same time; but does struggle if I'm gaming and she wishes to stream.

Other than your speed there are not really pitfalls other than deciding whether to hard wire systems or run via wireless.

My technicolor router handles 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, wireless smart tv, chromecast, hard wired pc, hard wired laptop and hard wired ps3.

No need for a switch at all.

If your router won't handle enough network ports then I'd suggest an upgrade but that might be limited by your ISP and how confident you are applying settings to the new router.

• Like 1

what make/model is your router?

ok so your router is comes from the bt socket, then where?

the 3 network cables from it go where?

you say its hardwired through to another room? so one of those cables goes to a network port in the router room to a network port in the next room? giving a single port in the next room?

Edited by kirisute

I have a bt hub 3 ,its got my pc hard wired into it ,a blue ray ,asatellite box and my cctv also hard wired and on top of that yet another satellite box via wifi and ofcourse this

tablet and on occasion 2or three phones at the same time so connectivity is easy but download speed vastly reduced when the kids visit !

Hmmm i wonder if you can use the usb port as well

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Had the IT guy down today from that there London Ivory towers.

Mentioned to him. He disappeared for a min and return with a pro Cisco Ethernet switch.
(We moved office last week and got all new shiny stuff and had some spare, nice freebie)

Just plugged in and playing, works most excellent thumbs.gif

(yes) "giving a single port in the next room?"

I'll post picture at the weekend, when i have better light.

• Like 1
1509tarpon_75_.gif

You cant see the cables on my pc its in a corner unit but theres ten cables running from the top of the wardrobe to the loft from the cctv tv satellite dvd etc ,the pc ethernet goes via a different route

And the 8 usb cables hide behind it along with the psu and monitor cables etc ,each is labled both ends so i know what it is lying under the dam thing fiddling

Been having trouble with my printer and windows forgetting its there so i bunged on a usb to ethernet dongle and used the ethernet connection which touch wood seems to have cured it

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson