What Camera Are You Using?

Steve Randles

Just treated myself to a Canon 20D to replace my 300D, up to now it is a fantastic camera and a worthwhile upgrade from the 300. I use it mainly with either a Canon 50mm f1.8 or a Canon 70-200 f4 L.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just treated myself to a Canon 20D

I quite fancied a 20D myself, but couldn't quite stretch the purse strings far enough. I've seen some tremendous photo's taken with the 20D & haven't heard a bad word about the camera, I reckon you've got yourself an excellent upgrade there.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your shots taken with it.

Where did you buy your 20d from Croix?

I will be ordering one at some point next week so you may save me a little legwork in finding a reliable and competitive supplier. :)

Have any of you guys got the battery grip? What do you think? Heard a few gripes but will buy one anyway unless you convince me otherwise.

Also, I already have Canon 35-105 and 100-300 lenses but fancy one with a wider angle for tight catch shots on the boat, any good recomendations?

cheers in advance :)

Jessops, after looking around on the net and in the magazines I found them pretty competetive on price, and I wanted to buy locally in case of any need to return the camera.

Initially paid £845 but got £100 cashback from Canon and a free 256MB CF card.

I think the London Camera Exhange are also doing them at £845 (£745 with the cashback deal and free CF card).

The cashback deal had a deadline of 31/12/05 but I'm told it's been extended into this year. Deal also contains a booklet of vouchers to claim more cashback on Canon products.

Edited by Croix

Guest Finepix
Jessops, after looking around on the net and in the magazines I found them pretty competetive on price, and I wanted to buy locally in case of any need to return the camera.

Initially paid £845 but got £100 cashback from Canon and a free 256MB CF card.

I think the London Camera Exhange are also doing them at £845 (£745 with the cashback deal and free CF card).

The cashback deal had a deadline of 31/12/05 but I'm told it's been extended into this year. Deal also contains a booklet of vouchers to claim more cashback on Canon products.

I recently purchased a Canon which also came with a booklet of vouchers which expired 31/12/05. Do you have any details (or a link) regarding the extension?

Thanks - Julia.

Hi Julia,

I haven't seen any info on the web about it yet, I'm only going on the info I was given by a few camera shops who told me that Canon are extending the deal into the early part of this year. I hope it's true as I have a few vouchers that I'd like to use.

*EDIT* Just found this from the London Camera Exchange.

"£100 CashBack EXTENDED! on the EOS 20D! (Ends 31/01/06)

From 1st January 2006 till January 31st 2006, £100 CashBack from Canon UK will be extended and will be available on any new EOS 20D digital SLR purchase!* Phone, email or call in to LCE Southampton High Street for more details, and for our latest EOS 20D prices!£Phone or email for new cashback deals on the above!All from stock- plus claim your free 512MB CF Card from Canon! A voucher book with the EOS 20D also offers discounts on further purchases of selected lenses & flashguns from Canon.* official UK stock only, offer open to UK residents only"

Not sure whether the extension is just on the 20d offer whether the book of vouchers deal has been extended too.

Edited by Croix

I went to pc worls today to buy a few bits and came out with 20 rw dvds, an external dvd writer and a new camera.

I have been wanting a small pocket camera for a while and I was looking in the cheapo managers special basket and I found a panasonic fx7 for just over £100 and all that was wrong with it was it had no instruction book or software yeeha I got a bargain and it also takes great pics.

Don't think much of the battery life but will soon sort that with a spare tomorrow.

John

What I have right now is.

Canon 20D (dslr) + Grip

Canon 300D (dslr) + Grip

Lenses: Canon 50mm F1.8, Canon 18-55mm, Canon 28-135mm IS, Canon 17-40mm F4 L, Canon 70-200mm F4 L, Sigma 70-300 APO II Macro, Sigma 20mm F1.8

Misc: Canon 550ex Speedlite Flashgun, Tamron Teleconverter 1.4, various filters (Polarizing, ND Grad, Cokin system), Manfrotto 190 Tripod, Slik 300DX Tripod, Velbon telescopic tripod ..... lots and lots and lots of other bits of pieces.

Fuji 2800 (Point & Shoot)

Pentax Optio S (Point & Shoot)

I usually shoot with the 20D, and either the Sigma 20mm F1.8, Canon 28-135mm IS or Canon 70-200mm F4 L attached, I use the 300D as a backup, or when out fishing with the 18-55mm or Sigma 70-300.

Really happy with the copy of the 70-200mm F4 I got, the sharpness and colour of the shots is outstanding ... its my favourite telephoto lens that I have, and for when I need to go wide, or doing landcapes I shoot with my relatively cheap Sigma 20mm F1.8, at 2.8 and above its gives tremendous quality. When doing stuff for Press, its usally my 28-135mm IS (very good quality, and usefull range) or the Sigma 20mm.

Gillies

I too have/use a Canon 300D and 20D.

Lens:-

Canon 28-200mm

Canon: 28-135mm IS

Canon 100-400mm IS

Canon 28-300mm IS

Sigma 12-24mm

Flash:-

Speedlite 420EX - rarely ever used!

Accessories:-

Loads!!!

Charlie

http://www.NACA.co.uk

Charlie Bettell - www.esox.co.uk

Professional Pike Fishing Guide

Author: 'The Art of Lure Fishing'

Guest allibee

Another one for the Canon EOS 20D here - in fact me and the other half both have one

Lenses: Sigma 24 - 70mm f2.8 EX Asp., a Canon 50mm F1.8 prime and a Canon 75 - 300mm USM

Only ever use the on board flash and seriously want a play with a lensbaby since reading about them

I used Ian's longer telephoto lens for this one

Model = Canon EOS 20D

Exposure Time = 1/80"

F Number = F10

Exposure Program = Manual

ISO Speed Ratings = 400

1.jpg

Edited by Steve Randles

Sony Cybershot DSC-P100, boring huh. But as I am an amateur at the most basic level it will do until I know what I am doing. If and when I do get a better camera, I will mainly be photographing bugs and family! so will be coming on here for advice, thanks in advance.

I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!