Highland Sea Angling Club

Given that there has just been a rod auction on this site on behalf of www.save-our-sharks.org I'm appaualed to see this on the above site...

I fail to see the justification for these types of trophy shots in this day and age?

As site admin, I've taken down the photo and that section, since it upsets some people and is being used by others to portray the club and one of its members particularly in a bad light.

We have a small but growing membership, and run trips out of several ports in the region. I would encourage anyone who dislikes or is upset by anything we do to discuss it directly with us and give us an opportunity to explain ourselves first, before denouncing us to the whole world.

For the record, the photo is fairly old, and is of a single shark that died during the fight. The person in the photo is smiling, not because he's reduced the population of a vulnerable species by one, but because this is by far the biggest thing he's ever caught. Other sharks were caught and released. We take the same catch and release approach with skate.

Thanks to those who have shown a balanced view in the posts above.

Guest NickInTheNorth
I would encourage anyone who dislikes or is upset by anything we do to discuss it directly with us and give us an opportunity to explain ourselves first, before denouncing us to the whole world.

Is that why I have not had a response to the email I sent, regarding the above, via your webite?

Is that why I have not had a response to the email I sent, regarding the above, via your webite?

Sorry, NickInTheNorth - bit slow on the response at the mo - time of year, plus house being rebuilt, means Ieuan is a bit slow picking up mails - he has got it now though and will reply. You can mail me direct via the website contact link. I'm wary of putting my direct email address here as I hate all the spam that invariably follows. ;)

As site admin, I've taken down the photo and that section, since it upsets some people and is being used by others to portray the club and one of its members particularly in a bad light.

We have a small but growing membership, and run trips out of several ports in the region. I would encourage anyone who dislikes or is upset by anything we do to discuss it directly with us and give us an opportunity to explain ourselves first, before denouncing us to the whole world.

For the record, the photo is fairly old, and is of a single shark that died during the fight. The person in the photo is smiling, not because he's reduced the population of a vulnerable species by one, but because this is by far the biggest thing he's ever caught. Other sharks were caught and released. We take the same catch and release approach with skate.

Thanks to those who have shown a balanced view in the posts above.

Adrian - Thank you for responding but with all due respect the photograph was in a *public* area on a *public* website on the interweb so as site admin you will understand that it is already placed in the public domain along with the captor by whoever published the picture in the first place? Therefore I hope you will forgive me if I do not feel the need to make an apology in that respect? Please also remember that it was you that posted a link to the HSAC site on this forum in the first place thus inviting people to view the site. If my memory serves me right there was very little information with the actual photograph other than a suggestion somewhere that it was from a trip in early 2005 - March springs to mind but I'm sure you can correct me if I'm wrong as I am now unable to verify this at present?

However, it is warming to see that you have taken the opportunity to use this thread as your 'right to reply' and also that HSAC hold a positive view to catch & release which I'm sure you will be making abundantly clear on the HSAC website Club Rules page in due course along with any involvement HSAC has with the current Common Skate & Shark Tagging Programmes?

There are plenty of sites that have far older photographs of shark that were deliberately killed for nothing more than a photo - A lot of those sites will now fully denounce 'the old ways' and freely admit that in those days people didn't know any better. Whilst you explain that the fish died during a fight maybe, given the current climate, it would have also been prudent to state this on the page in question given your assumed responsibility for site content?

Would you be kind enough to enlighten us all as to why it was necessary to boat the shark and why it was bleeding quite heavily?

Thank you again and may you and HSAC prosper with the New Year.

Tight lines

Edited by SandTiger

Thank you again and may you and HSAC prosper with the New Year.

Tight lines

No problem - I'll pass on your questions and comments to the Club committee. We've got a lot of work to do on the site content and I suppose this is an important lesson in vetting everything carefully before going live. Shame we had to learn the hard way!

Cheers!