£2000 Kayak

richi

1. just added up what i've spent since i bought my yak in the summer £2075, rich man's sport or what?
  2. caper angler-----------------------------£430
  3. palm p.f.d.--------------------------------£80
  4. seat-----------------------------------------£45
  5. lendal nordkapp paddle-----------£120
  6. wetsuit-------------------------------------£50
  7. drysuit--------------------------------------£180
  8. fish finder & rechargeables-------£150
  9. numerous anchors & rope--------£50
  10. various leashes------------------------£50
  11. neoprene boots 2 pairs------------£50
  12. neoprene gloves 2 pairs-----------£30
  13. eiger siruis boots----------------------£40
  14. hats------------------------------------------£30
  15. thule roof racks------------------------£150
  16. thule kayak cradle-------------------£90
  17. light-----------------------------------------£20
  18. ekla trolley--------------------------------£60
  19. base layer--------------------------------£50
  20. fleece layers-----------------------------£50
  21. new yak only fishing tackle------£100
  22. coolbox for yak only-----------------£15
  23. camera-------------------------------------£100
  24. aquapac for camera-----------------£20
  25. one handed knife---------------------£10
  26. yak waterproof top-------------------£50
  27. personal flares--------------------------£35

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Hi there, the best thing to do was NOT add it up. Her indoors still thinks it all came in under 300 pounds :):) .terry

PS. its only money after all :)

Edited by terry1956

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

HI richi

The cost soon adds up, however after the initial spend you can get years of use with little more financial outlay.

As an X owner of a 17 ft fast fisher with 60 horses on the back , I have to say, the money spent PER YEAR, is quite staggering . Engine services ,plus spare engine services, launching fees, parking costs , trailer services, dare I mention FUEL !!!! not only for the boat but the towing vehicle, insurance , the list goes on and on.

All things considered , without question , I will be sticking to my kayak .

Hi,

I agree,

I sold my boat befor I moved to Devon. I still miss the thought of a nice dry cabin when it rains, but I don't miss the fuel costs!!

I never used to catch anything in Sussex anyway! :rolleyes:

Dave

Kayak - Hobie Mirage Outback

Location - Paignton

Hi Chuggs, you are correct with the cost of boat ownership, I have just done the bearings, brakes on my boat trailer. Not much remaining from 350 pounds, and the bearings as you will know need replacing after two seasons. the kayak is expensive with all the gear but then thats it, apart from fuel to get somewhere its all free. Must add thoe that I love the boat on a nice sunny day :) .terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

The cost of kayak fishing kit certainly adds up... the trick is to try and get everything you buy at a discounted price. I've saved hundreds of pounds off the total cost of my kit by doing this. Where and when you fish will also affect these costs.. winter paddling means more spent on clothing and if you're paddling any distance then a lighter paddle geared to your style of paddling will be of benefit.

The intial outlay is something we all have to go through but as Chuggs mentions once you've got your kit, fishing costs are minimal. Fuel for the car, car parking charges (depending on where I launch) bait and some food makes the cost of my local yaks trips well under a tenner!

The kit Richi lists is good quality stuff which should last for years. I think he has similar gear to a lot of us here. I doubt he will have to buy twice :)

However to start yak fishing we don't 'need' fish finders, carbon fibre paddles, waterproof cameras, top line roof racks etc - although I do feel they enhance the yak fishing experience.

The beauty of yak fishing is that you can get on the water quite cheaply if you forgo a few goodies and plan on fishing during warmer water months but don't skimp on the safety gear.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

thats scary stuff! think ill just have to build up slowly and improvise as much as possible!

or sell my carp tackle but that smells to much like a burning bridge!

Just a short note: I was not complaining about the cost,it's the best fun I've had in years :D:D:D:D:D:D richi

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph