Ebola

Ken L

The current outbreak in West Africa is a bit weird.

First they said it was Ebols, then a study said it wasn't and now it's back to being Ebola.

It's in an area with no recorded history of outbreaks hundreds/thousands of miles away from the previuosly known range of the disease in East Africa.

It's cropping up over a wide geographical area with cases in several countries.

Cases are appearing that don't seem to be linked to the other known cases in the affected area.

The mortality rate is very high.

This could get really nasty.

Insert conspiracy theory here.....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Easy place to test nasty bio weapons (wink)

I always find it alarming the government invite it over here by not immediately closing all ports and airports to incoming traffic from the area for several years

When rumsfeld made millions flogging us stuff to combat the avian flu "outbreak" why wasnt the country shut to people from the affected country as well?

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've always thought that a viral haemorrhagic fever outbreak would be an ideal opportunity for low tech bioterrorism by the kind of terrorists who consider themselves disposable in their cause. No high tech needed, just people willing to infect themselves and travel during the incubation period. Imagine the panic caused a few days after a suicide bombing when it is realised what the bomber was infected with. I wonder if there are measures to protect outbreak zones from jihadists?

I've always thought that a viral haemorrhagic fever outbreak would be an ideal opportunity for low tech bioterrorism by the kind of terrorists who consider themselves disposable in their cause. No high tech needed, just people willing to infect themselves and travel during the incubation period. Imagine the panic caused a few days after a suicide bombing when it is realised what the bomber was infected with. I wonder if there are measures to protect outbreak zones from jihadists?

Yes we point guns at their families ,rarely works though hmmmmmm

Strange humans dont learn from history ,spain deliberately killed a third of our population and still we let them in

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Strange humans dont learn from history ,spain deliberately killed a third of our population and still we let them in

Never mind the Spanish, have you heard what the pigs and birds are up to, the devious beasts!

Ebola as a bioweapon was the theme of the Tom Clancy novel "Executive Orders" (one of his better works) and yes, the bad guys were Jihadists.

That story involved the complicated use of monkeys to produce quantities of virus but as you say, all it takes is a big enough group of people who are willing to become infected and havoc could ensue - particularly if they are prepared to blow themselves up in areas where a lot of people would come into contact with the mist of bodily fulids.

It may not require terrorism to get nasty though, if the geographical dispersal of cases is due to something other that the comparatively easy transport in West Africa (longer incubation period, easier transmission, or someone deliberately infecting people), this could get unpleasant without the input of the religion of peace.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

*preparing Zombie survival kit*

this is how the book World War Z started!!!

if any of you have an ipad or android then try the game Plague Inc

http://www.ndemiccreations.com/en/22-plague-inc

its a real eye opener on disease and virus spreading and quite fun.

Edited by kirisute

It could get very nasty, although it is in the nature of VHFs to be somewhat self-limiting - fast burn rate, no airborne transmission - don't touch sick or dead people and you will be OK. The big fear is that it might become airborne, like Reston, however if this one is spreading further than previous strains it could be something as simple as a longer incubation period.

I don't know when during the incubation period it becomes infectious. The WHO says that asymptomatic male survivors of the disease can transmit the virus in their semen for up to seven weeks after recovery. So there is a possible route for sexual transmission. If there were a strain with a longer, infectious incubation period, and it got into a high risk promiscuous population - say prostitutes in a large city...

Could be a mutated version of the Tai forest virus (a member of the ebolavirus genus) that was first found in the Cote d'Ivoire (which is probably the closest recorded outbreak) and of course as fruitbats are thought to possibly be one of the natural reservoirs for the virus the area the virus covers could be larger than expected. see http://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/Global_EbolaOutbreakRisk_20090510.png?ua=1

Edited by snakey1