Ebola

Ken L

It could get very nasty, although it is in the nature of VHFs to be somewhat self-limiting - fast burn rate, no airborne transmission - don't touch sick or dead people and you will be OK. The big fear is that it might become airborne, like Reston, however if this one is spreading further than previous strains it could be something as simple as a longer incubation period.

I don't know when during the incubation period it becomes infectious. The WHO says that asymptomatic male survivors of the disease can transmit the virus in their semen for up to seven weeks after recovery. So there is a possible route for sexual transmission. If there were a strain with a longer, infectious incubation period, and it got into a high risk promiscuous population - say prostitutes in a large city...

Blimey if shagging is terrorism i am in ,trouble is do tissues catch it? Just a minute its easier to get 22? Virgins and take your time after blowing yourself up ,perhaps both to make sure is the way forward Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Steve,

The infective dose - 10 aerosolized organisms are sufficient to cause infection in humans (also WHO and DHHS) 10 is ittsy bitsy when it comes to virus.

I invented a device for the transportation of infectious substances (class 6 hazardous materials) using a open cell foam liner and nonoxynol-9 an organic compound that is used as a surfactant. It is a member of the nonoxynol family of nonionic surfactants. In my heart of hearts I thought the device was only modestly safe. It did "pass" all required tests however.

Phone

Those numbers (or how they are derived) are interesting. It's like asking how many sparks are needed to start a fire. In theory, one single virus particle is all it takes to initiate infection, but exposure to a single virus particle does not have a 100% probability of initiating infection. That figure of ten particles will be for a given probability of infection - probably 50%. Still scary. Stick yourself with an infected needle and you're in serious trouble - a bad case has 100,000,000 - 1,000,000,000 viral particles per ml of blood.

Steve,

Sadly, the health care industry worldwide has no problem ignoring likelihood vs possibility. Some day I'll tell you the story over a pint. My device was successful partly by luck. In 1988 AIDS was on the front burner. The general public thought it was transmitted by looking at a gay.

Phone

Edited by Phone

Steve,

Sadly, the health care industry worldwide has no problem ignoring likelihood vs possibility. Some day I'll tell you the story over a pint. My device was successful partly by luck. In 1988 AIDS was on the front burner. The general public thought it was transmitted by looking at a gay.

Phone

I think the words were "looking at a gay post homosexual intercourse" Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Interesting that someone has worked out an airborne infective dose for a disease which isn't generally transmitted that way. Well, not unless you weaponise it...

Edited by Steve Walker

Marburg appears to have infected humans by inhalation in infected bat caves, mind you, and although it didn't make them sick, Reston Ebola has been transmitted to humans by inhalation.

Steve,

Sorry mate you're taking me to far back (1988 to remember many details.

Not in a million years could you prove the specific route and source beyond a shadow of a doubt.

For fun I scanned pathogen "infective dose". 'ELL I DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT THEY ARE DOIN!!!!!!!!!

Phone