Ebola

Ken L

I have a decent food buffer anyway but I increased it significantly at the end of January and doubled my usually held stock of bog roll - well more than doubled actually because I c0cked up the order.

Either way, I got my stock in well before the current madness so I'm not competing with the inevitable panic buyers and making things worse.

Since it became obvious that this is going to get bad, I have been rotating a three week supply of eggs stored in the fridge and the same for carrots, cheese etc and I'm also rotating a stock of onions etc in a cool dark cupboard.

Fresh milk, veg and fruit are an issue if supplies get compromised or I don't fancy mixing with potentially infected people at the supermarket but I'll live without them if needs be.

I don't really drink milk or have it on cereals at the moment but  sweetened almond milk is my first choice when I do because it tastes way better than UHT etc. I do have a mix of coffee whitener, dried milk, UHT and evaporated milk but not in big quantities. Hopefully none of it will be needed.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Good excuse to thin down the older items as well had some late 2017 soup today it was fine .tried a brown loaf recipe in the breadmaker but i think i will go back to my method of using it to make dough then leave it longer to rise then bake it

We buy it in bulk when its available then forget where it is so i have been stocktaking today bringing the old stuff to the front while the mrs went through the pantry indoors ,found the missing 3 boxes of lucky charms she said i didnt buy from bargain barrys!

She will "tidy" them (hide) by the time we can buy milk in the supermarket though ,those with milkmen are lucky ours went 2o years ago!

Fresh veg is a problem anyway i cant get much home so we buy frozen in bulk from iceland every few months so we have 3 freezers (two old ones which have much more room inside than these modern ones)  so long as the power is on we are fine but without electric we have a couple of big calor fridges and gas so one could be turned down which will freeze everything the other for fridge stuff.

Keep trying to justify a generator but even now cant justify it but one would be handy ?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I've seen little gas fridges in caravans but when I was a kid, my grandparents had a full size gas fridge that must have been 40 years old then.

It was an endless source of fascination to us but I've not seen one in years. Just the job if you are in a remote area subject to power cuts.

Edit: Turns out you can still buy them.

Edited by Ken L

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Our kitchen fridge was made in 1957 lol

Seen a fair few gas fridges as a kid even still had a gas wall lamp in the first house we rented, they work pretty well with no moving parts the only thing that stops them is spiders making cacoons in the riser vent.

Ours are camping ones so use gas ,240v or 12v our old house had a 12v ring main i installed you could have use all the camping gear inc tellies if you have enough battery back up ,we had power cuts all the time in the winter!

This house used to have a gas fire (the council even tried to bully us to get rid of the gas stove) but it was removed but the liner left in so in a power cut were buggered no heating other than the cooker !

We have a small back garden so bought  a 6*6 greenhouse (chesters1 tip do NOT buy those corregated plastic ones the panels blow out in the slightest breeze) and ate then dehydrated a score lbs of tomatoes a freezer drawer full of french beans ,and wasted hundreds of gallons growing potatoes in big boxes ,56lb is £7 a sack so its not worth it small scale ,peppers which were frozen but no room for anything else no pots next year  not sure what to grow in the boxes?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

41 minutes ago, Ken L said:

I've seen little gas fridges in caravans but when I was a kid, my grandparents had a full size gas fridge that must have been 40 years old then.

It was an endless source of fascination to us but I've not seen one in years. Just the job if you are in a remote area subject to power cuts.

Edit: Turns out you can still buy them.

Yes dometic is the trade name for electroluxe but they are damned expensive ! Most are calor but i have seen some using mains gas somewhere online

Blimey paraffin fueled ones paraffin used to be the staple fuel of the poor now its more expensive than meths!

http://www.staycold.co.uk/product-ranges/remote-locations-gas-paraffin/rhino-gf230ip-pf230ip-single-lid-cooler.html

Edited by chesters1

• 2 months later...

25 minutes ago, *Ant* said:

Weird that Ken. Is the "PIDGIN" in reference to "pidgin" English? 

It is. There are several confirmations of the same story but that was for some reason in the top bundle recomended by the search engine and I couldn't help but use it.

There are a bunch of pidgin languages but this seems to be aimed at Nigeria

Licence fee payers hard earned money is cearly being well spent..

Edited by Ken L

All,

SURELY, there wasn't a single sole who thought Ebola was going away. I've not been there but isn't pidgin english as staple first language in W AFRICA. (that's a real question)

Phone

Edit: has anyone experienced one of the click languages?

Edited by Phone