Ebola

Ken L

only contagious via contact with bodily fluids....hmmmmm....if they are on a plane then I wonder just how far it could truly spread!!

There has been at least one incident of a guy on his last legs from Marburg who flew on a crowded commuter flight, vomited in a sick back, didn't infect anyone.

I wouldn't volunteer to sit next to one, though!

http://t.news.uk.msn.com/world/doctor-in-nigeria-contracts-ebola-1

I know...we will fly someone out of the contagion zone and back into a clean area!! that will work!!!

maybe they need to watch mythbusters!!

[media]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1j8bh8_O_Q[/media]

only contagious via contact with bodily fluids....hmmmmm....if they are on a plane then I wonder just how far it could truly spread!!

If the air is just recirculated and only slightly filtered then the air will get even more moisture in it ensuring it gets everywhere ,i have always wondered where the air that blows through hospital ceilings comes from ,going by the colour of the vents it sure isnt filtered ,perhaps its collected from all wards then cooled and recirculated its bad enough legionairs disease still pops it head up but getting ebola visiting a distant ward not in a secure location is on the cards

We "presume" the air is completely clean and some thought was put into the air supply but we KNOW from history mistakes are made ,corners cut and brown envelopes pass hands

We know if half a hospital dies "lessons will be learnt" the heads of the department will retire on big pensions ensuring they keep their mouths shut and F all will change and no one punished ,strangely "due care" only applies to those not paid to provide it !

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

A little over a week ago, there were 660 deaths and now it's 826 with that figure almost certainly being a huge underestimate because people are shunning hospitals. Lagos is also a ticking time bomb.

On the positive side, Dave will be happy the BA have suspended flights.

As fascinating and terrifying as Ebola is though (so far), it's small potatoes as far as global killers go.

AIDS killed 1.5 million people in 2013 - 75% of them in sub-Saharan Africa.

Malaria kills over half a million people every year - 90% of them in sub-Saharan Africa.

I don't think we need panic to much unless or until something changes and it starts tearing though populations.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

A little over a week ago, there were 660 deaths and now it's 826 with that figure almost certainly being a huge underestimate because people are shunning hospitals. Lagos is also a ticking time bomb.

On the positive side, Dave will be happy the BA have suspended flights.

As fascinating and terrifying as Ebola is though (so far), it's small potatoes as far as global killers go.

AIDS killed 1.5 million people in 2013 - 75% of them in sub-Saharan Africa.

Malaria kills over half a million people every year - 90% of them in sub-Saharan Africa.

I don't think we need panic to much unless or until something changes and it starts tearing though populations.

At least someone has sense ,pity we dont close all connections with the world for a few years just in case

The difference is though the world is now only a day away maximum ,in the past the traveller would have died long before he arrived by horse! Even on a ship the signs would show before it arrived ,now you can walk on a plane and walk off the same day half a world away

Got no problem with folks going abroad only the fact they come back ,got no problem with foreigners so long as they stay in a foreign country

I was going to say all the nasty virulent diseases come from foreigners but ofcourse one of our common colds wiped a fair few off the map ,perhaps i should say all the diseases that could wipe us out today will be from a foreigner down the line

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

It looks like spain will be importing it deliberately ,foolish if you ask me ,stop all flights from spain please

At least someone has sense ,pity we dont close all connections with the world for a few years just in case

The difference is though the world is now only a day away maximum ,in the past the traveller would have died long before he arrived by horse! Even on a ship the signs would show before it arrived ,now you can walk on a plane and walk off the same day half a world away

Got no problem with folks going abroad only the fact they come back ,got no problem with foreigners so long as they stay in a foreign country

I was going to say all the nasty virulent diseases come from foreigners but ofcourse one of our common colds wiped a fair few off the map ,perhaps i should say all the diseases that could wipe us out today will be from a foreigner down the line

Huh, the black death came in at Weymouth, don't know why I still go there. :D

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Spanish are repatriating an infected priest.

A Saudi businessman has died in Riyadh after returning from Liberia, Ebola suspected, test results awaited.

Six of the people who treated the infected Liberian-American who died in Nigeria were infected, one of whom is now dead. Note that some medical staff have been treating this for months and are still OK, I can only think that the Nigerian medics screwed up badly or were very poorly equipped.

Man arrives very sick from an area where ebola is active and promptly collapses. It's hard to believe that the medical team treating him didn't have some inkling of what might have been wrong with him and think to take precautions.

The Nigerians are tracing secondary contacts.

The death toll has jumped again to 932 which is starting to look exponential although some of it could simply be that the bodies of people who didn't go to hospital are being dumped in the streets by relatives.

Perhaps this is more easily transmitted than thought.

Either way, I maintain that the nightmare is this thing getting into the sex workers of Lagos.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Yes, that's risky, although there is probably quite a small window between sexually contagious and too sick to work. There is the issue of post-ebola men continuing to shed virus in their semen for some weeks afterwards, but I think that's a peculiarity of male anatomy and given the gender balance of sex workers, less of a problem.

Hmm, given that the opportunities to study transmission of this particular pathogen in humans are infrequent, present in very small samples of victims, far from medical facilities and limited by cultural and language barriers, I wouldn't be inclined to put to much trust in received wisdom about when people are infectious.

If someone has active infection and are systemically loaded with virus but not yet symptomatic, it's hard to see how unprotected sex (why bother with a condom if both parties are HIV+?) wouldn't be a viable means of transmission. Same goes for blood contact, even if clear fluids such as sweat and saliva remain low risk until the infection is symptomatic.

I wonder whether there is an increased chance of the virus mutating to better suit a human host in an immune suppressed population?