Pole elastic

Anderoo

Hi Andrew,

I would use a light hollow elastic with a puller bung, this gives you a nice soft elastic for the smaller crucians etc but would still be able to land the bonus fish if they came along.

Daiwa Blue Hydrolastic - expensive but works great and lasts for ages

or

This Blue one from Nick Gilbert, it's very good and much cheaper than Hydro

Colin
My Website

My Blog (mostly Match Fishing)

I think Dickie wants you to loose all your crucians and get seen off by any better fish.

Go with a 6 (8 max) and tie your bung in a foot long loop so the last foot is double and will give you a fighting chance with any better fish. You will be surprised what you can land with a bit of patience.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

With pole fishing you need to balance hook/hooklength/main line and elastic.

I would recommend a white hydro or 6-8 middy high viz with a puller bung for open water or a middy 8-10 for margins/snags but up hooklength.

Anything heavier and you risk snapping hooklength, bumping fish off or hook pulls.

With puller bungs you can land larger fish with ease.

Do a search in You tube as there are plenty of guides done by top anglers.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Thanks - 6-8 seems to be the general consensus (both in here and on the web).

I remember once landing a tench that was getting on for 7lb on 6 elastic, it took a while but I got it in the end...!

Related question - my top sections are not telescopic, how do you protect the elastic from wearing on the carbon when they're pulled apart for storage and transport?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Something along these lines do the job nicely: http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/pole-elastic-protectors

I would also agree with the consensus of 6-8 elastic. If I had to lean more towards one it would be an 8 but that's just because of nuisance fish already mentioned.

Edited by Poleaxe

Started coarse fishing February last year, species so far:

Roach, Rudd, Bream, Tench, Perch, Carp, Gudgeon, Eel, Crucian and a Goldfish.

Thanks - 6-8 seems to be the general consensus (both in here and on the web).

I remember once landing a tench that was getting on for 7lb on 6 elastic, it took a while but I got it in the end...!

Related question - my top sections are not telescopic, how do you protect the elastic from wearing on the carbon when they're pulled apart for storage and transport?

I use these for my main pole kits:http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/store/preston-top-tubes?gclid=CIq_iuG_yr0CFTMetAoda1AA_w

Or these in my margin pole:

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/app/milo-doobry-elastic-protector-p-547203.html

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Andrew,

you could go up to the 6-8 version on Nick Gilbert's site if you prefer...but.. I know for a fact that someone has been using the blue for his skimmer fishing at Lake John in matches and has landed several carp up to 25lb on it!

(with a puller kit of course, this is a necessity)

Edited by Maddog

Colin
My Website

My Blog (mostly Match Fishing)