Need advice on fishing in Mexico

Snatcher

Unfortunately its not for me its for a mate at work,he flies out 2 weeks today. He is staying in the Akumal/Tulum area which is about 30 miles south of Cancun(not sure about these spellings chaps) He fancies going on a charter after the big stuff and will also be taking telescopics to fish from the shore. Any info you could pass on would be most appreciated.

Cheers lads

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

A friend vacationed in Mexico this past winter and chartered a boat somewhere near Cancun with his companion. They caught a lot of fish, including some Mahi-mahi and the Sailfish pictured below which he had mounted. This fish weighed 100 lbs, was 95" in length, and jumped all over the place according to him.

He said the charter was inexpensive, costing under $300 for a half-day, which included unlimited food and drink for the two of them. That should work out to about 200 pounds or so (sorry, I don't have a pound symbol on my keyboard).

This is where I want to go next winter!

Posted Image

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

severus if you hold down the Alt key and type in

(from the number pad - not from the keys at the kbd top) 0163 it will give you £.

Do start~run~charmap and you will get a little window pop up that has most of the common items you can produce that way like

£ (0163)

¢ (0162)

º (0186)

¼ ½ ¾ (0188,0189,0190)

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt. I have a complete list of HTML character entries but didn't know how to enter them here; now I do. You da man.

Ken

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Best advice I can give is to take enough cheese sarnies to last a fortnight. Its the only country in the world where I had food poisoning twice in one week. My other half had food poisoning in the period between.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Tulum is a fabulous spot - the only Mayan temple built on the seashore (open for free on Sundays) and the fishing is a bit weird. Very early or at night, forget in daylight due to the tourists and the sunlight. Watch the sunburn - ferocious in the onshore winds which keeps the temperature far lower than it is... Make sure he visits Xel Ha (can't remember the real spelling either but its a freshwater outlet that bubbles up from the sea bottom and snorkelling there is gob-smacking) and Agua Azul. Palenque inland is worth the effort too, real Indiana Jones stuff but you have to like bat dudu to get to the best spot !!!

As to the fishing, bring wire traces! Even the small fish have parrot like beaks and the bigger fish like barracuda will mince mono... watch out for the stingrays in the surf (sharks as well) and especially for the scorpion fish, any of which are likely to be severely poisonous. If I recall there is also a type of weaverfish which makes wearing sandals when wading very necessary. Don't wade too far out and the lemon grass beds have tiny stingers at the base of most of the "grasses" which make it tingly or painful depending on your disposition...

Eat the local cheese and youghurts first and these give you a gentle introduction to the local bacteria. Only drink bottled water where the seal is intact and peach nectar (juice) is the best thing to drink when you suffer the back door trot - it has the highest concentration of pectin (mother nature's superglue) of any fruit juice, oh and a good blast of salt too. Got guardia in Chiapas and lost a stone in five days... not nice.

Lucky devil, great place for a holiday...

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org