Dusting Off Old Reliable

tack4

just dusted off my 35 mm canon 1000fn with 70 - 300 lens and have been graced by some clear nights to try multiple captures of the moon when film finished (cant wait) will scan in results

keep wanting to try this and then take another photo of different scene but all ways forget :angry:

are 2x connverters any good or do you loose immage quality?????????????? as toying with ebay

Edited by tack4

Andrew

member of Save our Sharks

SOS

SACN member

it's the taking part that counts!

@==---¬--¬--¬------<(')))>< angling classics

Converters should be OK. They are regularly used by ex-digiscopers who now use a digital SLR instead.

The one big drawback with any long lens is the loss of light through it, very important in bird photography but probably not so important if your subject is the moon.

Andrew,

I have a few converters, the quality can vairy. if you can get a 7 eliment one rather than a 4 as the quality is better but remember, that the magnification is the amount of stops you will loose.

If you will just use it occasionally then the 4 will do (2 of mine are 4's).

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

I use a 1.5 converter ... its on my 70-200 F4 all the time, and the image quality is still superb. I think on glass of above F4 when you are at the short end on a telephoto lens (ie at 300mm) ... there can be pretty noticable image degration, or problems with Autofocusing due to the loss of stops ... good light hopefully would help though.

Anyone wanting to shoot the moon, its pretty easy to photo, and you can get great results with the simplest of gear, I was amazed first time I photoed it ... keeping the camera steady as possible (tripod, timer or shutter release etc), and there seems to be general agreement of settings in and around F11, 1/125 on a film speed of 100 depending on the brightness of the moon.

I have a few shots I took last year on my web site ... they are resized to fit the site, and were taken with my cheapo Sigma 70-300mm. Have better ones lying around somewhere from my 70-200mm + TC.

http://www.gilliesmackenzie.com/photograph...on.aspx?ID=moon

Have seen what some of the pro boys with the 600mm lenses have shot of the moon .... amazing. Your looking for wee green men walking around on it, its so close and clear.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com