50-11 common from Wingham!

Steve Burke

Cheers, guys!

It's partly the pedigree of the fish, and partly that little bait goes into Wingham so it's reached this weight largely on natural food.

Andy, who had the 53-02 mirror, has just returned and had a 42-01 mirror, whilst Gree Fee landed a 41-12 common on an overnighter. Earlier Will Finch caught another 40+ common that went 42-00.

Altogether that makes 18 carp to the few who've fished so far this season. 13 of these (72%) have been over 30, with 5 over 40 (28%) and 2 over 50 (11%).

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Me included, it looks like a nicely proportioned two pounder....scaled up twenty five times. I don't have one item of fishing tackle which could've dealt with that incredible creature.

Well done!

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Cheers, guys!

Angler's Mail speculated that "the young fast-growing fish in both lakes mean that 60-pounders are a distinct possibility in the future". I'd like to go on record that that wasn't a quote from me. As many of you will know I run Wingham differently to other fishery managers. We're therefore in unchartered territory here and so I'm not willing to predict the future.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Just out of interest Steve, are your carp caught mainly in the day, or night, or is there no pattern? Does it change with the seasons? Do the bigger fish behave differently to the smaller ones?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Just out of interest Steve, are your carp caught mainly in the day, or night, or is there no pattern? Does it change with the seasons? Do the bigger fish behave differently to the smaller ones?

There are sometimes patterns but they change with the seasons. In the Spring 5 to 9pm is good on the Carp Lake, with it gradually getting later. It's happened again this year, plus about 10am has also been good recently. The bigger fish seem to be no different to the smaller ones, except that their feeding times seem to be more random - rather like the big nomadic tench on the Main Lake, but not so pronounced.

I'm off to the Main Lake for a couple of days later this morning, part work, part fishing. If previous sessions are anything to go by it'll more work than fishing!

Thanks Steve.

Thanks Steve, interesting. Does it differ on the coarse lake? I find it interesting that the same species can sometimes behave quite differently on very similar waters that are right next to each other (e.g. the wingham pike). The few carp I know about from the coarse lake were all caught at night apart from one, which came right after an enormous summer storm.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music