Photo Challenge #3 - Tree(s)

Guest Jan V

For me, the only pic that fits the criteria is Rabsters "standing proud".

As soon as I look at it, it says "trees"

Good job I am not the judge :) :)

Den

Yeh I was thinking that to start off with, as well as Phils Sycamore, certainly my inspiration was simply to look for a really nice lone tree. Other photos depicted other things such as the weather or water or landscapes etc with trees in them. But it would be boring if everyone had just submitted a picture of a lone tree, it needs to be an equal combination of subject matter and creativity. I remember thinking the same thing in the 'People' comp that the people or person at least needed to be the main focus of the photo and not just a part of it. But each to their own, certainly if this was a serious competition it might be an issue, but the main objective here I think is to have as many enthusiastic contributors as we can get, so I have started to realise that keeping it simple is the best way to go. I noticed that the voting seems to have slowed down to a near halt, but this comp already has more votes than the last one which obviously shows more people are taking an interest.

HB and I may not be able to enter the current comp because he got sand in the camera over the weekend and it is going to cost over $100 and maybe take some time to get it cleaned, and if he ends up judging the next one we won't be able to enter that either so I may have to wait a whole month before I can submit another entry, argh!! I really liked my idea for this comp too, bummer, :(

Edited by TubularBelle
I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was another shot from the same day as my challenge entry, but I decided not to enter it.

reftrees.jpg

Exposure Time = 1/80"

F Number = F11

ISO Speed Ratings = 100

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

This was another shot from the same day as my challenge entry, but I decided not to enter it.

Like this one too, Steve. It's obvious I am a "sucker" for pics of trees but add reflections in water and you've got my attention for sure.

Great shot Steve, I think the "reflective" shot you entered just beats it because of the awesome looking tree in it. Did you have to hang around for the flatcalm conditions or did you just turn up & the water was like glass? Hang-on, you're not Moses are you?? :D

While the mirror like reflections are amazing, especially when the water is as still and glasslike as in this last shot, it was the colours that grabbed me in all of your photos. Maybe because I live in another country, the colours are not as common a sight for me as they might be over there, but I'd be hard pressed to find colours like that in Australia. Our landscapes, which can be equally as beautiful, tend to have more of a red or ochre tone in them. We are the driest country in the world, so it can sometimes be hard work to find anything green.

Edited by TubularBelle
I hate getting up early, I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!

The dry country is beautiful but as you noted, very different range of colors than where they have plenty of rain.

I lived in Tucson, Arizona some years ago. It is considered 'high desert' since it is on a large plateau and about 2000 feet elevation but the 12 inch annual rainfall is similar to your area. I loved it there but my (at that time and now very ex) wife couldn't deal with the lack of lots of green stuff and the fact that most of the vegetation would attack if you messed with it.

I dunno about anyone else but I would love to see some of your photos of the countryside.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Why thanks Newt,

As I was writing that post I was remembering my last trip to the Flinders Ranges, top of South Australia a few years ago with my brother. The colours were incredible but I didn't have a decent camera at the time and my photos did not do the area justice. Michael and I are already becoming a bit obsessive with this photography thing, spent hours out in the rain yesterday, yes it does rain here, while still being 25C, trying to take my 'communications' photo only to pretty much shelve the lot and will give it another try today. Have to start organising that Flinders Trip. They say it is one of the oldest mountain ranges in the world, very prehistoric. I'm surprised they don't film dinosaur movies in Wilpena Pound which looks like a huge crater hole.

Why isn't anyone posting in the new photo comp? Has the novelty worn off already?

Why isn't anyone posting in the new photo comp? Has the novelty worn off already?

Because here it is winter and the light this week has been horrible, I think we are all hoping for a break in the current dull weather to enable us to get out and shoot.

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Because here it is winter and the light this week has been horrible, I think we are all hoping for a break in the current dull weather to enable us to get out and shoot.

Steve

Plus it's quite a tough subject, which I think is a good thing as it makes you stop & think a bit more. I've got a couple of ideas but just not got around to shooting anything as yet.

I know for the trees challenge I was a bit on the lazy side. I just pulled up in what looked a likely spot whilst out working one day & started snapping away, in fact if you check the exif data my two entries were taken within 1 minute of each other, so I didn't spend too long thinking about composition :lol:.

In fact, I was lucky to get the "mirror image" shot as looking the other way from the bridge it was alongside, the water was frozen - here it is & this was taken 1 minute before the other two: -

trees_11.jpg

Guest Finepix

I agree with Steve, I've already taken a couple of my chosen subject, but I really need the right conditions. A bleak dull grey sky just isn't working!

Think I'm coming down with S.A.D. syndrome :lol: