From The Sublime To The Ridiculous

tugmistress

In both Mrs Elton and Nursejudy's cases the patients just showed complete bad manners and lack of respect for their 'carers'. In their position I'd be inclined to ask the patients to refrain from smoking because of my medical condition whilst I conduct the test. Pregnant, asthma or whatever but I'd make something up rather than put up with it. As for smoking around oxygen that is a pure safety no, no. Perhaps up to them when alone but not when anyone else is around - that I'd refuse to deal with on H&S grounds.

Rob.

This whole law is about H&S.

As proven by the cases you mention, some people won't cease unless they have to by law, unfortunately :(

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil
Well i'll put it like this, you pair cross me and you'll be needing asbestos pants when your time comes. :P

Do they sell those in Ann Summers <_<

Er...that's why fire-fighters wear respirators.

Firemen DO NOT wear respirators. They havent been issued or placed on a fire appliance for many many years. What they do wear is positive pressure breathing apparatus.

Even so every fire fighter will be subject to some smoke inhalation at times. It is in fact totaly impossible for any individual fire fighter to be fully protected from inhaling smoke.

I do speak from experience having served in th Fire Service for over 28 years.

Hi all

elton i agree smoking in your wife`s face was bad taste and woulnt do it if it were me.

as for smoking itself the trouble is that its a norm in this day and age to smoke at some point and some people just dont think because so many smoke.

ask the person to refrain is fair do`s

my misses gave up the minute she fell pregnant and never did again.

good girl she is:)

me i smoke in the house and not too much round the brats but smoke is smoke it doesnt stay in one room so im no saint(maybe ill change and go outside for news years):)

sg

Lot's of people i know burn essence sticks. One young couple up the road always has a house full of smoke, and it smells great, Oh and they have two babies.

Doctors, nurses, midwives etc have never remarked on it, or complained, so i guess this smoke must be harmful.

Is it a different kind of smoke ? Sounds like the British rail with their remarks of a different kind of snow.

me i smoke in the house and not too much round the brats but smoke is smoke it doesnt stay in one room so im no saint(maybe ill change and go outside for news years):)

So the kids breathe your smoke, then?

Without trying to be offensive here, that's just awful.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

nothing has been mentioned about those poxy airsprays modern life seems to depend on ,i smell one and get an instant headache ,cannot see why people want to walk around in a chemical laden atmosphere never mind paying for the privilage ,hopefully in the next few years it won't be found that half the population has cancer brought on by their use (not implying that they do of course but remember asbestos was considered pretty harmless at the time) even better though my kids in later life wont be getting mad cow disease through eating burgers i was too damn tight to treat them to a takeaway.

little notice is taken of this human need to apear cleaner than clean and its high use of chemicals that are needed to obtain the pretext .

even worse is the claims and the words that appear to imply its a safe product ,the word "natural" springs to mind :o just how natural is it for a plant to extract its own oils travel several thousand miles and pour itself into a bottle in your bathroom ,absolute lies and it should be abolished :o

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

LOL Some of you guys will just love this one...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/4555100.stm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

In the grand scale of things I doubt very much that being in someones house who has smoked recently (or is even smoking) is likely to do a great deal of damage to ones health - and I say that as a non-smoker.

Unless you are sitting pretty close to someone who is smoking 20 a day, then I cannot see there being -that- much risk to passive smoking, and it stands to reason a great deal of the crap in smoke must be sat in the smokers lungs and not floating around the air...in which case it must be less harmful than actually smoking.

It would be interesting to know -proper- figures for passive smoking, but I suspect internet sites will tell you sitting next to someone smoking 20 a day ranges from a passive intake from 1 to 10 cigarettes - nicely vague, with the first being relatively harmless and the latter being a bit more serious.

That said, as for public sector workers visiting homes perhaps one should do a proper risk assesment which would illustrate that primarily accidents are the biggest risk (slips, trips, falls), followed by violence (much more serious than smoking), contamination (i.e. catching a patients illness), work related hazards (needle injuries etc), and then, perhaps, right at the very bottom, smoking (below choking on a piece of cake and/or tea).

GrumpyBum, I was told by a firefighter that apparently (or legally) you cannot give a firemans lift to someone over 25kg. If that IS true (I don't know) then the world has gone bloody mad. By the way, I am sure the firefighters would agree that there should be a proper criminal offence for burning a house down by leaving cigarettes unattended - this is something which isn't prosecuted on 'nearly enough'.

Ian W

Unless you are sitting pretty close to someone who is smoking 20 a day, then I cannot see there being -that- much risk to passive smoking, and it stands to reason a great deal of the crap in smoke must be sat in the smokers lungs and not floating around the air...

With respect, do you think your conclusions about passive smoking really stack up against those of the medical professionals? The fact is, their studies of passive smoking put them in the best position to form conclusions about it, surely? The professionals tell us that passive smoking is harmful and while it would be better for everyone if they were wrong, I don't think they are.

As for the 'crap stuck in the smoker's lungs' deal, remember that the majority of the smoke from a cigarette burns, unfiltered, directly into the air, plus there's the 'residue' from what smokers exhale.

I think what amazes me most about smokers subjecting others, especially their families, to risks from their smoking is, not only that they could do that to their own, but that they'd even think about it - let alone argue for the 'right' to do it.

Compare what's being risked for the sake of...well, what exactly? Whatever it is, it can't be worth risking the health of your loved-ones for.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.