From The Sublime To The Ridiculous

tugmistress

Oh dear, this argument seems to be getting rather irrational so before you start chucking pots n pans at me, I think i'd best duck out of this one :blink::rolleyes::unsure::P

Only irrational to a non-smoker. :P

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the puplic sector workers are providing a service to people be they smokers or non smokers so why not extend the goodwill to them by not forcing them to inhale your smoke.

fair enough its your own home and you should be able to do whatever you want(within reason) in your own home.

but really its just plain good manners is it not?

hmmmm really

Guest Brumagem Phil
Only irrational to a non-smoker. :P

Not quite....an ex 60 a day smoker.

To be fair, when I smoked I would probably have stomped my feet in a tantrum just as you have.......therein lies the moral of this tale. Quit the darn things and you wont need to whinge about being marginalised anymore :)

Er...that's why fire-fighters wear respirators.

:rolleyes:

Okay try this one Davy.

Mr binman.......oops sorry......Mr refuse collector stands behind a great dirty big dust cart 5 days a week getting pumped full of diesel fumes. After 20 years he changes jobs and comes around to my home with a clip board assessing council tax price bands for the local authority.............

.........."exuse me sir, I must insist you extinguish that cigarette while i'm in your home".

:lol:

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

moral ? there is no moral in this that isnt hypocritical bollixs, and whats more if you can just stay away from the conspicary theory which is in itself designed to lead you down that path , you should ask yourself why it is that we are being subjected to more and more of these hypocritical regulations on practicaly a daily basis. Its is so much bollixs to say you shouldnt be smoking in your own home if workers have to enter it when we are still pumping the air with so much more crap. The only difference being is that this is never highlighted . Why

they are all distractions from the issues that can not be sloved

or solved , take yer pick

Didn't have time to comment on this before i went to work but i can now.

Personally I feel this is political correctness taken to the extremes. Yes i smoke, about 30 a day. I smoke in one room in my house (well, unless i am laid in the bath with a fag and a beer ;) ) and that is my living room. I rent this house, i furnish it, i decorate it, i live in it. If someone coming to do work on the house has to be in the living room, i will open a window if they do not smoke - yes i always say if they smoke and want a fag to go ahead and do it - but i am in MY home, if people have that much diffulcty in breathing that they need to be kept away from smokers houses, then they ought not to be working anyway!

my own opinion and yes i am offended by this 'suggestion' of the scottish executive.

I can sort of see the logic from both points however the only realistic solution is for the service companies to request that people open windows or refrain from smoking whilst they are in the property. You can't expect people to refrain from smoking in the street because their smoke may harm you (and it will, just like indoors) or in any other enclosed space.

And Ants comment about car fumes is equally relevant, if not horrendously difficult to solve. The plain and simple fact is that life is a risk. We don't even understand most risk factors so we can never control them. And biggest of all is that whilst smoking is legal and financially beneficial to the government things aren't going to change (IMHO, ;) ).

Rob.

Ant, Yoxer, Paula - as I said earlier in the thread:

"If it ever came to it, why not enquire when making the appointment if the person visiting would prefer *not* to be breathing fag smoke whilst they're in your house?"

As others have pointed out, it's more a question of good manners than political correctness. But the former seems to be in short supply these days, unlike the latter (unfortunately).