Pheasant Plucking

ben88

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people like to take the easy way out by skinning instead of plucking, the bird will be much more juicy and flavorful if you leave the skin on.

Or you could take easy way out and lay some strips of streaky bacon over the skinned pheasant whilst it's cooking.

Finepix has obviously got this from a U.S. site - "flavorful" indeed - and you know what *they're* like for doing things the hard way...

;)

where is it hanging? How warm is it?

Nick,

You're trying too hard to be 'street'.

The actual terms are, "How's it hanging?" and "How cool was that?" :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Guest NickInTheNorth

You could eat it anytime really. Would be ok for another week probably, but if the mild weather that they say we are getting happens then probably 2 to 3 days.

If you prefer a milder flavour eat sooner. If you like a real ripe gamey flavour keep longer.

Absolutely no reason it needs to be hung for any longer.

Pixie, the whole of the 'Pheasant plucker song' marvelous!

I'm a skin 'em and caserole man myself, used to have a brace or so every fortnight (well hung) and my little paws got sore from plucking - although my great aunt could do a brace in 15mins - just a flurry of feathers into a bucket.

Not had many since my Grandad died, and the plastic ones from Tesco don't appeal.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Personally, I wouldn't hang them at all unless it's very cold and if they were shot, that applies twice over 'cause the pellets often pass into the birds gut allowing bacteria and all sorts of other delightful stuff to leach slowly into the flesh.

Pheasants are a bit small for roasting and carving so I don't bother trying to pluck them. Just lay them on their backs, cut them up the middle, take both breasts off, push the skin off the legs and then remove the thighs and drumstics (snip though the lower legs once you've cleared the skin of them) and just chuck the rest of the carcass in the bin. Give the skinless portions a good wash and either bung them straight in a casserole or poach them, let them cool and strip the flesh off for pies and the like.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest Finepix
Pixie, the whole of the 'Pheasant plucker song' marvelous!

I'm a skin 'em and caserole man myself, used to have a brace or so every fortnight (well hung) and my little paws got sore from plucking - although my great aunt could do a brace in 15mins - just a flurry of feathers into a bucket.

Not had many since my Grandad died, and the plastic ones from Tesco don't appeal.

Eugh, don't even go there. I bought pheasant from a Farmers market in Dorset last Christmas, even that was handed to me 'vacuum packed'! Was horrible, won't be making that mistake again!