Idiot Anglers

Colin Brett

I'd really like to see a photocopy of the vet bill.

Not that I'm doubting the whole thing, you understand, but I'd still like to see a validated copy.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't take tin cans fishing with me any more. I bought a couple of (cheap) plastic containers and put my corn and (chopped) luncheon meat. It has the added advantage of me being able to use the bait I have left another day!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Probably left by a passing boat angler after snagging the bank. I've done it a few times although mostly off the ground in trees out of reach of dogs. (not out of reach of birds though) Lure anglers will go to extreme lengths to recover a lure to keep it away from mammals and birds as well as having an eye to the replacement cost. Even those with broken tails can be repaired, so I doubt whether it was just chucked up the bank. The owner probably was unable to find it or find a landing spot where they could go look for it. Accidents happen from time to time....and whilst dogs off leashes and out of sight of their owner can be a menace in their own way, its always going to be the angler that's going to be to blame for incidents like this, even though the dog probably had to step around tons of shite that others had left and the local council couldnt be bothered to deal with. Really down to the dog owner to keep an eye on the mutt.

Believe me Newt, our vets know how to charge!!

Colin

Probably left by a passing boat angler after snagging the bank. I've done it a few times although mostly off the ground in trees out of reach of dogs. (not out of reach of birds though) Lure anglers will go to extreme lengths to recover a lure to keep it away from mammals and birds as well as having an eye to the replacement cost. Even those with broken tails can be repaired, so I doubt whether it was just chucked up the bank. The owner probably was unable to find it or find a landing spot where they could go look for it. Accidents happen from time to time....and whilst dogs off leashes and out of sight of their owner can be a menace in their own way, its always going to be the angler that's going to be to blame for incidents like this, even though the dog probably had to step around tons of shite that others had left and the local council couldnt be bothered to deal with. Really down to the dog owner to keep an eye on the mutt.

The park borders the river, but it's a lake complex.

Colin

The way I see it, the dog shouldn't have been running loose and like others have stated, dogs have excreted and urinated on my gear also :angry: with no recompense to me.

I have been informed that there is "No Fishing here due to mess left by anglers" what about the mess left by dogs? :angry: I know there are idiots out there but they are in all walks of life and some dog handlers :rolleyes: are among the biggest of cretins.

Dont think its fair to blame the owner or the dog . It was a careless act of discarding a broken lure by a pike angler (probably) The dog suffered a lot of pain and the owner had to pay a considerable amount of money to get the dog treated. The newspaper headline was over the top as they always are, and there seems to be a anti angling agenda at large.

However no good sticking our heads in the sand and blaming everyone else, its all grist to the mill for the antis, perhaps the local anglers that use the park should respond to the story, if only to reassure the public that anglers dont intend to harm mans best friend.

Merry Chrismas Everyone :)

I do not think that the lure was left there on purpose.

I think it was wrong for the dog not to be on a lead.

On the river Nene and Bourne Eae there is a lot of litter been left by pike anglers eg packets where spinners and plugs have been taken out of them and bags where dead baits have been taken out of them.

Ian Flynn

I think that the fault lays with BOTH concerned parties, the "Idiot Angler" who left the lure, and the Irrisponsible dog owner allowing his pet to run free out of eye site around a public park. There are 3 public parks in Derby with council controlled fishing, Allestree, Alvaston and Markeaton, all these lakes have potentially brilliant fishing, but are spoilt by a lack of control and supervision by the Council. Although they do occasionally pop round to take your day ticket money, these parks are not regularly patrolled and also I have never witnessed a pet owner being repremanded for allowing their animal to foul where ever it wants and the "animal lover" lowering their own standards and "doing the right thing" and cleaning the S**T up, I have seen those that do and fair play to those who are "responsible pet Owners" for doing so, but where as with anglers it is a minority that give the majority a bad name ie leaving litter bits and pieces of tackle etc etc, (IN MY OPINION) it is the other way round with pet owners, I personally have witnessed far more pet owners leaving theirt dogs mess than I have those willing to accept their responsibilty and cleaning it up, and alas the same can be said for the canal tow paths and walks along side the river I see many more piles o dog S**T laying around than I do discarded fishing tackle. and I have seen more reports of people being fined for fishing without a licence (RIGHTLY SO) than I have pet owners fined for allowing their pets to foul in a public place, both offences are equally illegal.

Well Thats my xmas rant out the way all the best to all for 2006

"We will sit down and discuss it, then decide that I was right in the first place" Brian Clough the best england manager we NEVER had