Catfish Problems

rooney888

At my local pool there are a nuber of catfish. Some carp anglers are having trouble with the cats as they are breaking and fraying carp anglers lines how could you counter this problem?

What line is needed to stop them grinding the line to shreds but is also good for catching carp with ?

Also what breaking strain should this line be as the carp in the pool grow up to 35lb? (if the mainline im using affects what breaking strain i should use, ill tell you my mainline is 15lb Daiwa Sensor)

84854438.png

I`ve used quicksilver in the past and never had any problems with it.

You could also try any of the stronger braids (25lb+ breaking strain) as they shouldn`t in theory, break.

thanks quicksilver it is. ill the 35lb breaking strain 1.

84854438.png

ammnesia is even better we have found. On the ebro we were picking cats up on the carp gear. WE used both ammnesia and coated braid hooklengths, to which the amnesia proved better causing the downfall of a 173lb cat on a single pop up!

Whatever floats your boat...

See how I float mine, here

i've landed cats up to 55 on 12lb dawia sensa with snake bitehook links in past..no need to change from normall carp gear if cats only go up to 35 if u play fish rite u'll land everythin you hook......my mate had a 56.08 moggy yesterday in the snow awesome sight in the white stuff played that for hour and half with hybrid hooklink on a choddy and with a size 10 barbless

Roony~~~~~~ have had catfish to 33lb on 15lb mono hooklinks and No6 hooks whilst fishing for carp and not had a problem.However,when I go specifically for catfish I normally use 45lb Quicksilver.

Roony~~~~~~ have had catfish to 33lb on 15lb mono hooklinks and No6 hooks whilst fishing for carp and not had a problem.However,when I go specifically for catfish I normally use 45lb Quicksilver.

Hi Guys

Quick silver at just 35lb is really too light and too fine in diametre for all but the smaller cats. If you get anything over 40lb you'll have a job getting it out on the lighter braids.

For really big ones try looking for a proper catfish braid. We were even using 70lb Powerbraid first time out on the Ebro (as this worked in France) and lost a few fish. A rethink of our hook links saw us using 80-100lb Dyneema. It's not so much the breaking strain, as you în fact put very little pressure on a fish using a rod.... it's the abrasion caused by the pads on a catfishes mouth..

If Elton doesn't mind here's a link to a video I shot giving tips on French catfish, last year... not as big as the Spanish ones, so the gear is lighter than Ebro tackle... BUT the tactics are the same...

http://www.anglinglines.com/docs/tackletac...ishing/500.html

(NB: not intended as a commercial plug, but understand if you take it off.Elton) I can be PM'd for the link in this case..)

Just got back from the Ebro shooting out there... great week and a lovely film.. we all had 100lb plus cats..

cheers

Gareth

Hi frenchdub and welcome.

We rarely have a problem with material that is posted in response to a question or fits in with a topic.

However, I think you may have a technical problem with that piece of video. I have a pretty fast DSL connection and IE handles it poorly with lots of "buffering" stops while Firefox doesn't show the video part at all.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President