Shock from what i seen!

mr beef

post-5545-1135443248_thumb.jpghi all and merry christmas, went up town today to get the last few bits of xmas shopping (well when i say last few bits i mean all of it!) any way back to what i wanted to say. went past my local tackle shop and bought a few odds and ends, came out and went two shops down which is a fish mongers to get a few 1lb blocks of squid for my sea fishing. i came back out, and looked in to the window as i was sorting my wallet, when i got a shock of something that i thought would of never seen!!!!!.................................................there in the window on ice was a Mirror carp of about 2-3lb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

thought that no one would believe me so took a photo. its not a good pic but you can make out that it is a carp!!!

has anyone else seen anything like this before!

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

post-5545-1135443248_thumb.jpghi all and merry christmas, went up town today to get the last few bits of xmas shopping (well when i say last few bits i mean all of it!) any way back to what i wanted to say. went past my local tackle shop and bought a few odds and ends, came out and went two shops down which is a fish mongers to get a few 1lb blocks of squid for my sea fishing. i came back out, and looked in to the window as i was sorting my wallet, when i got a shock of something that i thought would of never seen!!!!!.................................................there in the window on ice was a Mirror carp of about 2-3lb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

thought that no one would believe me so took a photo. its not a good pic but you can make out that it is a carp!!!

has anyone else seen anything like this before!

If you go to any Chinese Food warehouse you will see carp swimming around in tanks as they eat them.

Can't see why you are surprised. Christmas is not a good time to be a carp in some European countries. The Turkey is a newcomer. My mum had a copy of Mrs Beatons Cookbook and I'm sure it has a recipe for your carp that might hit closer to home than chinese. There are guys here that can explain the development of carp as a food source back to the Monks stewponds of the 15th century better than me but you could argue that the carp you saw in the Fishmongers is not out of plaice.

Merry Christmas, By the way. :)

If you do decide to buy a carp and cook it, check with a Chinese friend for how to fry the scales. They make a wonderful snack.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Unless it's a leather.Not many scales on them .Funnily enough I started a thread on the Carp Forum about the very same subject because I recently saw a mirror carp on the slab in Sainsburys.This one was quite large.9 or 10 lbs.Unfortunately (as usual) everything was taken out of context.I am aware that carp were originally brought into this country many years ago by the monks as a food source.I'm also aware that these fish are fish farmed for food.However I think what the guy who started this thread is trying to say(as I was) that as carp anglers with a passion for carp it is not easy to come to terms with.Not everyone will feel the same I'm sure.I eat loads of fish (usually the sea type)without even thinking about it.I personally see carp in a different light only because I fish for them.

Unless it's a leather.Not many scales on them .Funnily enough I started a thread on the Carp Forum about the very same subject because I recently saw a mirror carp on the slab in Sainsburys.This one was quite large.9 or 10 lbs.Unfortunately (as usual) everything was taken out of context.I am aware that carp were originally brought into this country many years ago by the monks as a food source.I'm also aware that these fish are fish farmed for food.However I think what the guy who started this thread is trying to say(as I was) that as carp anglers with a passion for carp it is not easy to come to terms with.Not everyone will feel the same I'm sure.I eat loads of fish (usually the sea type)without even thinking about it.I personally see carp in a different light only because I fish for them.

but they're just farmed fish grouter, not prize specimins, just another farmed fish like bass, salmon, trout etc, all of which have anglers devoted to catching them in the wild.

Did I not already say that I am aware that they are farmed fish?It's just a queezy sort of feeling I get personally because of my love for carp.

Happy New year!

Grouter, I can understand where you're coming from but (and here's the big "but") provided the fishing is sustainable I don't have a problem with people eating what they catch. Years of sea-fishing does that to you. That doesn't mean that every time I see Two-tone I start weighing up how many chips I'd need, the type of fishing I do now doesn't allow catch and keep so it, luckily, isn't an issue for me now or I would have the same misgivings as you. There is no doubt about it, carp fishing gets under your skin.