Comments and Criticism

Steve Randles

An invaluable part of posting on forums is obtaining other peoples point of view, however good or harsh that may be. Its a way of sharing your skills or expieriences, your triumphs and disasters and more often than not it helps expand your understanding of a given subject, or impart on others hints and tips to take better photographs.

So feel free to start a new topic with photograph and write in the topic title or topic description that critique is required. Something like...

C+C welcome (comments and critique)

Comments welcome

etc etc..

Hopefully, others opinion will be garnered and we can all learn from it. Remember also if someone plain and outright says they hate your shot its just thier own taste and should not be taken too much to heart.

This is a constructive thing, not destructive..

If would be helpfull to us all if you post along with your photograph, the ISO speed, the aperture (f-stop) and shutter speed that the photograph was taken with, this will give an education to some and better understanding for others who are critiquing your work.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

1st attempt with camera on manual.... afraid i just guessed...not read Steve's article yet :(

shutter speed 1/10

F stop 10

iso speed 400...i figured it might need to be bit faster for the birds....taken from upstairs window using small tripod.

all comments gratefully received

birs.jpg

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)

Judy,

I think it would be unfair to critique this shot untill you have read the article I've written, you have done well by guessing the settings as this can lead to grossly over or underexposure (ie a completey white or black photo).

Have a read of the article, it should help you a little. :)

Great stuff on "taking the plunge" though. :D You'll soon be using manual all the time and your pics will just get better and better all the time.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Hope you don't mind me chipping in Judy?

I think the exposure of your picture is nigh on perfect, no complete loss in any of the shadow, and the only fractional burn-out is on the white peg. I'm not at all versed in Digi photography, I'm still shooting with an emulsion set-up, but with film at least, exposure is more often than not a compromise. Seldom does a film have the lattitude to give absolute perfect exposure. That's the beauty of using a camera manually, you can pick and choose which elements of the exposure you want to give preference to.

However I'm guessing it's a hand-held shot? There appears to be an issue with focussing. Or is it a case of insufficient pixels? You cannot beat a tripod for absolute steadiness.

I'm not sure if you're clued up about DOF, but one aspect of photography that is well worth reading up on, with regard to focus, is the subject of Hyperfocal Distance.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I dont mind any comments,thats why I posted,I did use a tripod although its only a little one,we get some lovely birds,goldfinches,siskins and cerrins,disapointed at still how far away they look in spite of my new zoom lens!!!!!!!

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)