Choosing a Kayak

nolan

I found this on the net so i thought i'd nick it an post it up here for your info. Its from a US based kayak dealer who knows his stuff, so thought some of you looking to get a kayak might find it usefull:

A fishing kayak does not need to be large but if it's too short, narrow or unstable, you won't have as much fun. I don't take a lot of tackle with me but I like to have a few comforts, like a rod holder and a place to keep bug spray, sunscreen and that hated cell phone, so the folks back at the shop can ask me where I stashed the pink and lavender paddles! A good kayak also has a place to put the fish that you catch, and you will catch fish.

You need a wide enough gunwale to sink a flush mount rod holder or two. Flat surfaces on the top and sides make adding after market accessories much easier. Some things will need to be bolted on and wiring may need to be run internally, that means you may need to get a socket wrench on the inside or at least have access to the interior. You can add a hatch or inspection port but only if the manufacturer provided enough flat surfaces on the kayak.

The perfect kayak for me may not be right for you. Your weight, age, leg length, physical condition, and the water you plan on paddling, all have to be considered. The point being, don't ask a 160 pound, 5'6 guy for advice on what to buy if you weigh 240 lbs, and are 6'4. Try to find people similar to your body specs and see what they feel works best for them.

The right kayak should be around 11 to 15 feet long depending on its width and your weight. It should be fairly wide and be very stable. Stability is important when you have a fish on and it's running from one side of the kayak to the other. Although it does not need blinding speed, a slow kayak is usually a wet kayak and a slow wet kayak is not fun. The old way of thinking was that narrow kayaks are fast and unstable, while wide kayaks are slower and more stable. This may be true when looking at two kayaks of similar design, but there are so many different shapes out there and more on the way. The only true way to tell is to paddle different boats that you are interested in buying. The point is, wide kayaks are not always slow and some can be fast enough for fishing and extremely stable. Look for a sharp bow with a nice deep V, a bit of flare on the sides will keep it drier in the chop.

COCKPIT BOATS

We do not recommend you get a cockpit type boat for fishing anywhere near rough water. These are the kind you crawl into and your legs are inside the boat. There is a trend right now for experienced paddlers to use these boats in cold weather. However, if you are just getting started and don't know what to expect from this sport then stick with the SIT-ON-TOP KAYAK. They are safer because you can get back on it if something ever happened to make you fall off and they do not fill up with water. Now don't get scared that you are going to fall off all the time, it just doesn't happen very often. I have been kayak fishing for a few years now and have never fallen off my boat on flat water, but it's comforting to know that if it happened I could quickly climb back on, so get a sit on top.

The best thing you can do is try some different kayaks out first and look for a kayak that is both stable and roomy with plenty of flat surfaces for mounting accessories. Talk to people that own the kayak you are thinking of buying and if your still not sure, try them all out again.

THE SEAT

Now is not the time to save money! You are going to be confined to this seat for many hours, so get whatever seat is the most comfortable for you. It will be worth every penny you spend on it (especially if you have a bad back like me...). Make sure you sit in every one the store has to offer so you can see and feel the differences. We recommend you never buy a seat you haven't tried, ... Adjust the seat slightly forward of vertical when paddling, this is the position your back will take when trolling. For drift fishing, you can loosen the front straps and lean back and relax...

Hi Nolan,

Good stuff mate.

Although I have yet to find or know somone who has a DRY Yak :D

We are on the water, water is wet, we get wet.

Just the action of paddleing for an hour gets you wet.Going through surf etc.

With all Yaks, there are what the Americans call "Trade Offs", in the article the writer refers to haveing a "v" shaped hull, swept back,

This design of the "v" hull causes hull slap on the water, so you loose some of your stealth, and are a little noisey when approaching a hot spot you may know.

I used to have a Cobra Navigator, before I got the XTs, that was of the same dsesign "V" hull, it was a nice Yak but noisey.

Yak speed,the speed of the Yak is down to the fitness of its user, it will only go as fast as the user can, or wants to paddle it.

Longer Yaks do have the ability to move faster than the shorter wider Yaks, but the difference isnt that outstanding.

I dont think speed is an issue when Kayakfishing, unless you plan on covering a long distance while fishing.

These are just a few of my own thoughts, from what little experience Ive had to date.

Yakity. :)

• 5 years later...

This article hit the nail right on the head. Thanks a lot Nolan.

Yakity, great points that you made there especially the speed and wet points.

I get a lot of people that is asking about buying a kayak that will allow them not to get wet. I can't believe that there are still people out there that wants to do water sports or water recreation and don't want to get wet. If you don't want to get wet, stay out and off the water. Period. You won't buy a saucy hamburger if you are not prepared to get the sauce on your shirt or pants.

Blimey, Chris, you,ve found a thread thats older than the Kayak fish forum. Must have been started in the sea fishing section.

Ere mods, put this one back in the right pidgeon hole, poor blokes probably wodering where the threads gone.