Abberton reservoir

wayne baker

Hi all

Any of the members got any stories from the legendry essex venue Abberton reservoir? I fished it for many years from the early eighties to the early two thousands. It was a cold and beautiful place in winter to sleep in your car and freeze at night just to get the culvert. In hope that you might catch a monster pike. My heart is heavy with memories of it and need some comfort lol

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

• 3 weeks later...
Has there been any more about the fishing being stopped there and the extra flooding?

Not sure myself havent been down there for a while been working away. but the last few times i looked at the place there was no one fishing there. And it didnt look like anybody had been for a while. Was hoping someone could shed some light on it If the fishing has stopped there it would be a great loss.

Wayne if your a PAC member there was quite a bit on their forum and in news letters about it a while back.As Ive not fished it regular for many years I cant remember the exact story.If your a member have a look or try asking Chris Bishop.If not let me know and I will find out for you.Sorry I cant be more helpfull but my memorey is pretty shot these days!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I fished it a few times in the early eighties with some success, no specific memories about the pike but what I do remember was the amount of quality roach that were in there. When I was taken there the first time I said to the guy who introduced me to the fishery what are we going to do for bait then? He took a drop net from the back of his car dropped it in the culvert and about five minutes later hauled it up with about twenty pound of different sized roach in it. I was gobsmacked took me the rest the day to recover.

Yes it was the only pike venue Ive ever fished where you came home with more baits than you took! Well it was the good old bad old days!

I know what you mean about being in shock all day the first time you seen it done!

Yes it was the only pike venue Ive ever fished where you came home with more baits than you took! Well it was the good old bad old days!

I know what you mean about being in shock all day the first time you seen it done!

Yes Budgie

The culvert was crazy for getting baits. When the traps were there it was just chocker block with roach. of all sizes i can even remember seeing someone haul out one not far short of three pounds one day. The last time i fished Abbo was i think 99 and it was still doing the odd good fish. But a shadow of its former self. From the days that made it famous.When the fish traps were removed it started to go downhill. Over the years i had a lot of nice fish from there but i never managed anything over 25ib. Though i saw some lovely fish caught. And have loads of memories

Abberton was a mystical place at times.Just because so much of it was inacsessable.

First thing what springs to mind though when the place is mentioned is the "double cracking" rule! An unspoken code of conduct on the causeway that caused many a kick off! For those that never fished there the sloping bank was made from concrete and the only place you could get a bankstick in was in the cracks between each "slab". As such it was the accepted thing to do to space your rods out acording to the cracks. But when you had the place to yourself it was nice to spread the rods to every alternate crack,thus "double cracking" Of course if other anglers turned up (you must remember that space was quite limited here) it was only right you made room for them.Mind you that didnt stop some from moaning!

First place I ever really tried to fish at long range for pike as well.Mainly due to the limited acsess we felt that by fishing further out we might be able to present baits to unfished for pike.Pre bait boat days and "ballooning" out rigs was the way.Also remember holding an impromptu casting "clinic" for some lads from Leicster.They were really suprised at the use of plumbers spray to freeze down sand eel/launce baits before the big chuck.

Abberton was a mystical place at times.Just because so much of it was inacsessable.

First thing what springs to mind though when the place is mentioned is the "double cracking" rule! An unspoken code of conduct on the causeway that caused many a kick off! For those that never fished there the sloping bank was made from concrete and the only place you could get a bankstick in was in the cracks between each "slab". As such it was the accepted thing to do to space your rods out acording to the cracks. But when you had the place to yourself it was nice to spread the rods to every alternate crack,thus "double cracking" Of course if other anglers turned up (you must remember that space was quite limited here) it was only right you made room for them.Mind you that didnt stop some from moaning!

First place I ever really tried to fish at long range for pike as well.Mainly due to the limited acsess we felt that by fishing further out we might be able to present baits to unfished for pike.Pre bait boat days and "ballooning" out rigs was the way.Also remember holding an impromptu casting "clinic" for some lads from Leicster.They were really suprised at the use of plumbers spray to freeze down sand eel/launce baits before the big chuck.

I remmember the constant domination of the culvert swims. People sleeping on the causeway all night and keeping the bank stick in place and reserving swims for other peoplr due down in the morning. Being younger then and being new down there i always use to keep away from the culvert and happy to fish further down the bank out the way of the more experienced anglers.

I remmember using balloons to. And the constant frustration when i was unable to strike them off. Until i learnt a little trick to make it easier.

It was a goood learning ground for the younger pikers and a very social place to swap ideas and learn from the older guys

You can still fish it on a season ticket now. I found out the other day. So if i can get one i might be given it a go again. I do miss it a lot