Flounders

Simon Everett

Hello Ryfd

The Teign has been systematically trawled out of sight every year for the last four or five prior to the Flounder Festival.

If these boats are targeting flounders just for pot bait thats a bit sad and I can understand anglers getting upset about it.

I know the flounders in the Stour and Orwell are not what they used to be, I don't know of any boats ever fishing for then, there is a by catch from the small sole trawlers outside the rivers during the summer. this has always been so since trawling was invented, why should it suddenly make such a difference?

I fish to live and live to fish.

In some areas the local bylaws to protect migrateing sea trout and salmon is, that any anchored net has to have 3 meters of water above the float line, Is this perhaps what the local netter was refering to ?
You hit the nail on the head and he was not happy about it, but as I was a bystander and he was actually talking to a mutual friend I did not ask him what his target species was, a bit of a mystery that one.

If these boats are targeting flounders just for pot bait thats a bit sad and I can understand anglers getting upset about it

They are not a common fish on the retail slab, just seen on the odd occasion.

I caught three on a mark the other day where I would have taken ten or so in the same period two seasons back. I have not had much luck with the winter dabs either.

At the end of the day it could be down to my

poor fishing ability, I will find out on Friday how the flounder match went on the Loughor.

:D:D

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

As you guys know Iv worked on a gill netting boat, to this day the skipper says he doesnt get many flounders.

But every time I used to work for him we would get vairying amounts from just 2 or three to maybe 20.

This may not seem many from 1000 yards of net, but once all the flounders get caught from a ceek or any other part of the inshore estuary it takes a long time for them to repopulate with flounders from other areas.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Thank you for the links fellas - that one from Mike Thrussell was interesting. Where do you find all these wbsites from?

I think I might just give it a go then - I know the Teign nd Exe have suffered a depletion in stocks - the Exe had a big dredging scheme going not so very long ago that wiped out the mussel bed off the back of the bus station - I wonder if those works had a bearing on the fish?

The Cornish estuaries have always had a fair stock of flounders,not huge but enough to make the odd trip worth a go. I just wondered if there was any up-to-date information on the Camel - other than salmon netters it has never been a heavily fished estuary. The school bass don't interest me at this time of year. I have turned my attentions to other fish now - flounders being one that I want to catch!

I'll take the kayak down and give it a go. I can always take a shore rod too and just lob a bait out for a couple of hours!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Thank you for the links fellas - that one from Mike Thrussell was interesting. Where do you find all these wbsites from?

A google search for winter flounder fishing turns that one up as the 4th hit on the first page.

Oh, if anybody talks with Salar, tell him they are really catching striped bass up around Duck. Lots of 15-25 lb fish. Most have a gut full of small spot - maybe 6-8 spot on average. Catching them on lures. Bucktails, spoons and a variety of topwater lures.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Oh, if anybody talks with Salar, tell him they are really catching striped bass up around Duck. Lots of 15-25 lb fish. Most have a gut full of small spot - maybe 6-8 spot on average. Catching them on lures. Bucktails, spoons and a variety of topwater lures.

Hey Newt, that must be great fishing. The beach at Duck is long, straight, sandy and fairly steep so you can fish anywhere. I was told not to bother casting more than 20 yards, the fish were right in. I waded in nevertheless, and saw a ray swim past behind me. I brought some of the bucktails back with me and they work on our bass here as well. Fabulous place. Great memories!

Edited by Salar

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk