Lenses

J.K

My main standard lens is my 17-35mm 2.8, it covers about 70% of the work I do but a 24-70 is a good option if you don't need the ultra wide. (I'm looking to get a 12-24 soon as I do need very wide at times).

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow that is a wide lense Lol. I have a 35 - 70 which is ideal for me. I am however going to invest in somthing like 100 - 300 for those wildlife pictures.

Thanks all,

Joel

Edited by J.K

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

With Digi SLRs you have to keep in mind the crop factor (or focal length multiplier) on Canon and Nikon DSLR bodies (ie Canon 300D, 350D, 20D, 1D ... Nikon D50, D70, D200, D2X, D2H) on the Canons it's 1.6 (except the pro bodies of the 1D range which is 1.3), and on the Nikons I think its at 1.5.

The Canon 1Ds and 5D have a full frame 35mm Equivelent which is 1:1, no crop factor at all.

For anyone who doesnt know, this refers to the the size of the sensor diagonally on the camera in comparison to sensitive area of 35mm film. For example the sensor on the Canon 350D is 1.6 times smaller than 35mm film, so a smaller sensor than a 35mm film frame captures only the middle portion of the information projected by the lens into the 35mm film frame area, resulting in an image that has been cropped.

If you put a 28-200mm lens on a Canon 350D, it is actually 45-320mm (1.6x28 and 1.6x200). This is very good when doing Telephoto shots, but when you go wide its not so nice.

The 20mm prime lens I use is plenty super-wide enough for me (32mm) on my 20D, also there is the kits lens of 17-55mm (27-88mm) is enough for me, if I ever need to go wider, and its an option I foot zoom.

The Nikon's have a terrific range of super wide angle zooms if top quality on large prints is important to you, in my eyes I wish I could say the same about Canon super wide zooms .... the Canon 17-40mm F4 and the Canon 16-35mm F2.8 are the top of the range super-wide zooms from Canon. At £550 and £1000 respectively they are pretty pricey - there is also the absolutely superb Canon 10-22mm super-wide angle (which I'd love to get) ... BUT its an EF-S lens like the kit lens (17-55mm), 60mm Macro and 17-85mm ..... which means in short it will not work on any Canon camera other than the 300D, 350D, 20D if you are to upgrade to a non-EF-S camera (ie 5D, 1D, 1Ds) in future.

If you want the full focal lengths of lenses on a Canon digi SLR you need to get the full frame 5D and 1Ds, at £1900 and £4700 .... they are not cheap! The way technology is evolving though and Canon looking to sway towards Full Frame, I think in a year or two full frame digi SLRs will be the norm .... though a number of photographers do prefer having the Crop factor.

A new Canon camera is expect to be announced to replace the 20D in February according to rumors, its going to be interesting to see if it supports the EF-S Lenses. Im expecting it to have crop factor of 1.3 and peform on a par to the new Nikon D200, which is a super camera.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

A very nice reply there, thank you for adding it. I dont supose you could demonstrate the cropping factor on an image ? I would find it alot easier to image that way.

Joel

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but I have a fuji s7000 and looking at most telephotos lenses they are for mainly Cannon's and Nikon's. Can anybody put e on the right track as to what will fit my camera.

Cheers

Paul

Sigma and Tamron sell dedicated 18 - 200 DSLR lenses for canon and nikon. I am just about to research them, but they look pretty good and give a true zoom range of 29 - 320 if the camera has 1.6 cropping.

Seph,

The s7000 has a built in lens so you would have to get add ons, I think there is a wide and a tele version (not sure) but unfortunatly you can't actually change the lens as on an SLR

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

J.K for more information on the crop factor of digi SLRs have a look here:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=focal%...th%20multiplier

Lid, yep is a good to have a look around at reviews of the 18-200mm .... a fantastic focal range to have, Ive read mixed reviews. You never know though until you try one ... here are user reviews of them both:

http://www.epinions.com/content_192627838596

http://www.epinions.com/content_185158569604

Tamron 18-200mm - around £270

Sigma 18-200mm - around £255

My dream non-Canon telephoto lens would be a Sigma 300-800mm (aka Sigmonster) ... its a wee bit pricey though LOL - imagine putting a 2x Teleconverter on that ...

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com