moving on up

barry luxton

I was given an all singing dancing top end desktop with Vista as payment for a job I did last year. My ten year old is never off it. I never touch the thing if I can help it. I suppose that sums up what is good and bad about it.

Good: She likes it and she very rarely has to ask me to sort out any problems.

Bad: I can't be doing with an operating system that asks me if I'm sure I know what I'm doing every two minutes.

As a result of developing an intense hatred for it when having to do "system management" stuff I've never really given it any sort of fair trial as a "user" and, since my XP laptop does everything I need it to, I don't imagine I ever will!

I'm just dreading the day the computing department at work decide it's time to make the big switchover. It would be like being forced to change to a Mac. Of course Vista or a Mac WILL both do what I want, but why should I bother having to learn something new that doesn't give me anything I need? I think it would almost be enough to make me retire to a caravan in Spain!

I guess people don't like change

Damned right if there's nothing in it for me!

can you make it look like xp in the way you can make xp look like 98? ,i'm a "classic" sort of guy

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

can you make it look like xp in the way you can make xp look like 98? ,i'm a "classic" sort of guy

Yes, probably, (although I don't know what XP looks like having gone straight from 98 to Vista). :blink:

Start

Settings

Taskbar and start menu

start menu

select : Classic start menu

Colin,

All that nonsense asking if you're sure you want to do what you've told it can be disabled within about 5 minutes, that seems to be a lot of peoples problem with Vista, and it's very easily sortable.

i'v often thought about a dual boot xp / linux configuration but is linux as user friendly as xp ? ,is it 64bit but supports 32bit programs and is it well supported or more to the point will it support my windows based progs and games ;)

32bit xp doesnt really support my cpu (a amd 64 dual core) to the extent i had envisioned its slightly faster but not noticely over my old single core ,it multitasks yes but slowly :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson