It's true, I must be certifiable!

Excalibur

For many years, a good friend, who took a hotel in the Scottish Borders, has asked me to do a Karaoke for him. This year, we managed to fix a date, so on Wed 28th which lunatic set off on a 210 mile journey in a ten year old ex-BT Transit ( which is overdue for a spot of TLC) in driving snow? Three guesses!

Lost the snow after 100 miles, windscreen washers after 120, and any intention of stopping at 130. Arrived at journeys end after four hours straight driving, ate hasty tea, set up equipment, found out how it all worked correctly after an hour, did the gig, ( aren't the Scots happy when they have imbibed heavily? ) went to bed.

Day The Next:

Got up 7am, couldn't get to anything till 7.20am, pack up gear, have breakfast, say goodbye.

Temp -10 or so, handbrake cable frozen, no washers, stop at first garage. Fuel cap frozen, eventually freed it, buy washer fluid at exorbitant rate, set off. Washers still frozen, stop at next town, pour coffee over washer pipes, get them going, freeze up again after two miles! Stop at services, more fluid in washers, this time engine bay has built up enough heat to thaw pipes unaided. Use washers like it was going out of fashion. After being stuck in jam on motorway for thirty minutes traffic clears, and away I go. Having done 150 miles in blazing sunshine, crisp clear Winter's day, what do I find next? Freezing fog. Drop off hire gear, head home, van now frozen almost totally externally, driver warm as toast inside , but losing will to live. Got home safely, despite seeing numerous others stop, boil vehicles, behave like prats / idiots / lemmings, break so many traffic regs it was frightening , and eventually had a long rest.

Am I certifiable? Yes!

Would I do it again? Yes, with a few minor changes

Note to Newt and Jan et al: Just 'cos you think -10 is shorts and bikini weather, we softies over here still think it's ( insert explentive of choice here ) cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicle note: In case our foreign readers can't appreciate the qualities of the vintage Transit, 2.5 litre Diesel, noisy, bouncy, hates any slippery surface vehemently, no power steering, after 130,000 miles not much power either, and a very basic cabin.

On the plus side, it starts first time every time, bulkhead cabin can become as hot as you wish, and best of all...........................

It's got an orange flashing light on top!

:)

Excellent post :lol::lol: really had me chuckling :lol: Thank you :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Sounds like you had a fun time ;) I love Transits, the new ones are better but the older ones are still fun.

Where in the borders were you?

I like my flashing light too, mine is on the back parcel shelf but is magnetic and makes me feel like Starsky and Hutch when it's on the roof :D

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Note to Newt and Jan et al: Just 'cos you think -10 is shorts and bikini weather, we softies over here still think it's ( insert explentive of choice here ) cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Trust me, we don't consider -10 warm at all. When it gets down below 50F you can count me out of any outdoor activity. (If we get snow, I will bully Newt into a couple snowball fights but that doesn't last long.) :) The insulated clothes are out and on and even my dog has the smarts to not want to go out and do his thing. (not to say you aren't smart)

In my younger years I'd have done the same and it does sound like you had quite an adventure. One advantage I have - Newt does all the driving therefore he handles any mechanical issues. I stay bundled up and all is well with my/our world. :P

Sounds like you had a fun time ;) I love Transits, the new ones are better but the older ones are still fun.

Where in the borders were you?

Not too far actually, a little place called Canonbie. My friend used to have a place at Burnfoot, just above Langholm. That one I would not have got to.

Good going Excalibur, I wouldn't want to do that journey :rolleyes:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.