Pike Fishing Tactics

B1g-Dav3

What tackle do i need for "Pike Fishing?"  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What main line should i use for pike up to 30lb?

• 10lb - 12lb
    • 12lb - 14lb
    • 14lb - 16lb
    • 16lb - 18lb
    • 18lb - 20lb
    • 20lb +
  2. 2. What reel is best for dead bait or live bait?

• Standard/Freerunner
    • Multiplier
  3. 3. What test curve rod is best for pike up to 30lb?

• 1lb - 2lb
    • 2lb - 3lb
    • 3lb - 4lb
    • 4lb +

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i use at the moment a 2 and 3/4 lb test a baitrunner style reel with 12lb maxima mono

That is a mighty test curve for a 12 pound line! Think I would go up to 15lbs to reduce the risk of snap offs when casting.

That is a mighty test curve for a 12 pound line! Think I would go up to 15lbs to reduce the risk of snap offs when casting.

You reckon Peter? I'd have said in terms of balance that it is about the perfect combination, though I'd probably also elect to use at least 15lbs mono too for piking. Maxima is as good as Mono gets for my money.

It's not simply a matter of line strength being suitable to fish size. It's more about the fact that pike set-ups exact a lot of wear and tear on a mainline. Braid is the better option in the majority of situations IMO.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Hi Chris, just knew someone would take issue, even just slightly, with my comment!

I can never understand the theories behind test curve and line strength that suggest that so and so line is just right with whatever rod. I can understand a minimum strength, but with the advent of glass, why is it an issue? Especially now that so many of us now use 50 lbs braids etc. And then is a twelve pound line a 12 pound line? Nope, not when it is knotted, slightly abraided, used a couple of times, stretched, or even wet.

'I can never understand the theories behind test curve and line strength that suggest that so and so line is just right with whatever rod.'

Me neither really Peter, in fact I've just realised I misread the TC in that post. Sorry. I'd go along with what you said in retrospect. I was thinking along the lines of 2/2.25lbs TC being coupled with 12lb mono.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

You are a gentleman Chris.

In the depths of yore there used to me a multiplier of test curve to arrive at the recommended line strength, any idea what it is/was?

Also, in said depths of yore, we all used Mitchell 300s. 10 lb, possibly 12 lb was max on one of them, so our fishing tended to revolve round rods suited to 10 lb line.

To get the line ratings from a test curve, multiply the test curve rating by 5 to give you X (test curve times 5)

Then its minus 30% of that figure for the lower line rating and plus 30% of the arrived at figure for the upper line rating

e.g. 3lb test =15

Minus 30%=10.5

Plus 30%=19.5

So a 3lb test curve would be rated for 11-20lb line

Edited by Brian Carragher