Pike Fishing Tactics

B1g-Dav3

What tackle do i need for "Pike Fishing?"  

89 members have voted

1. 1. What main line should i use for pike up to 30lb?

• 10lb - 12lb
    • 12lb - 14lb
    • 14lb - 16lb
    • 16lb - 18lb
    • 18lb - 20lb
    • 20lb +
  2. 2. What reel is best for dead bait or live bait?

• Standard/Freerunner
    • Multiplier
  3. 3. What test curve rod is best for pike up to 30lb?

• 1lb - 2lb
    • 2lb - 3lb
    • 3lb - 4lb
    • 4lb +

Some of the group that I fish with use 65lb powerpro as thier preferred weapon of attack whether bait fishing or luring and its just my view, but I think because anglers are using line of such immense strength, that a lot of the old angling skill of old is being lost.

I understand the argument used when baiting that no rigs are left on the bottom when the hooks foul as they are able to pull the hooks straight and thereby get the gear back eliminating any danger to a feeding pike ,but the extra confidence that hauling gear brings, means that the line and not the angler with his rod becomes the major factor in landing pike and that skillful use of rod line and brain is becomming less common on the water, year on year.

I'm not knocking anyone who I fish with as everyone I go with put fish conservation at the top of their agenda but am worried about the general trend of anglers who seem to think that heavy bs line is the order of the day in all situations and I've see relative newcommers literally haul in their fish to the extent that most of the fight takes place under the rod tip or at the net and I fail to see how thats good for pike in particular.

As most of the better braids have a very low diameter to bs ratio I can easily see why high b/strains are achieved when compared to mono but out of the group that I mentioned some of the longer users of braid are now switching back to mono and are doing so with lines with bs worked out with the above formula

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using lures or bait?

If you're using lures here are some video clips that might help you out. They're from Canada but the principles will work on Pike anywhere.

http://www.hookmorefish.com/dir/guides/epi...anglersview.php

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
Are you using lures or bait?

If you're using lures here are some video clips that might help you out. They're from Canada but the principles will work on Pike anywhere.

Cheers,

I was thinking about using three rods out on dead bait over 4-5 nights. Also lure fishing during most of the day and the first sign of sun set.

I was thinking about using three rods out on dead bait over 4-5 nights. Also lure fishing during most of the day and the first sign of sun set.

Errrr, pike aren't carp! Tis only my humble opinion but if you think that you need three rods then you are doing something wrong. Sleeping whilst piking? Once again, only my humble opinion, but pike deserve better, no such thing as a self hooking anti deep hooking rig. Lure fishing whilst dead-baiting, you'll miss bites, relying on buzzers is not foolproof. Yes, I know that folk fish that way, but it doesn't make it good pike angling practice, infact I think it is appalling. Carp fishing for pike, swapping boilies for deabaits, grrrr.

If I have misread your posting then I apologise. If I haven't then I don't!

If you're going to do a session over a few days then it's important that you rods are fitted with alarms and swingers in order to give you the best bite indication you can get. Take spare batteries as the alarms are your most audible indicator and a non sounding alarm is a deep hooked certainty. You need to be on top of you rods at all times and concentration is a must and is something that is hard to maintain over a few days session.

It is important in so far as fish welfare goes that if you're bait fishing , then put your lure rod away as you can't do the two jobs effectively. If you have multiple rods out, and if you are throwing a lure thrashing the water somewhere else then you can't react quickly enough to your bait rods. if you want to lure , then the same goes, put you bait rods away for exactly the same reasons.

Over a few days boredom can set in and therefore innattention to your rods, so set your chair over your rods and take some reading material , that way whatever happens you are on top of your gear and able to hit your runs.

It seems to me that due to the questions you asked when the topic was started that piking is brand new to you. That being the case I would advise shorter day sessions to build up your confidence and expertise before embarking on multiple day sessions

New piker+multiple rods + night = disaster.

Learn to walk before you run mate and as I always reccomend go out with an experienced piker to show you the ropes.

Much kinder on both you and the fish.

as for night time predator fishing it doesnt matter how good your bite detection ststem is you need to be awake and paying even more attention than during the day.If you are bivvying up at the water for convinience then why not wind in when you want to kip and set the alarm for just before dawn? I do and I dont reckon its affected my catchs to badly! Even got the luxurey then of taking your boots off and zipping up the bivvy door!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

New piker+multiple rods + night = disaster.

As you can probably tell I started this poll at the end of December. Tis now nearly the end of January over the period of a month I have been down to the waters a dozen times so you could say I have learnt to walk and here i go for the running. This Sat - Sun to be precise.