Getting a bit Twitchy :)

poledark

Rabs, still struggling to get a sharp pic...I have resorted to using manual and am getting the idea that I will have to manually refocus for every change of distance. I had hoped that simply using the macro setting I would be able to let the camera do the work for me.

It's a bit weird really, with the lens zoomed right out to avoid vignetting, and camera set on macro, I can watch the image come into sharp clear focus, but when I take the shot, it is "fuzzy". This happens even when using the IR remote and a tripod.

I have tried "backing off" the zoom slightly(to alter the converter/camera lens distance) but it does not help.

I have an old 2x converter which I made an adaptor ring for so it fits the Nikon lens, and I get the same problem with that.

I expect I want to much for my money, I want to be able to see the hairs on a gnats willy at 50 mtrs, and I don't think I will get that for £83 .00 :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rabs, still struggling to get a sharp pic...I have resorted to using manual and am getting the idea that I will have to manually refocus for every change of distance. I had hoped that simply using the macro setting I would be able to let the camera do the work for me.

It's a bit weird really, with the lens zoomed right out to avoid vignetting, and camera set on macro, I can watch the image come into sharp clear focus, but when I take the shot, it is "fuzzy". This happens even when using the IR remote and a tripod.

I have tried "backing off" the zoom slightly(to alter the converter/camera lens distance) but it does not help.

I have an old 2x converter which I made an adaptor ring for so it fits the Nikon lens, and I get the same problem with that.

I expect I want to much for my money, I want to be able to see the hairs on a gnats willy at 50 mtrs, and I don't think I will get that for £83 .00 :)

Den

Poldark, I'm inclined to agree with you, however, I was fidling with my 300mm macro the other day and had a few focus problems, cured by manual focus, mirror lock and a remote shutter release. The blue edge/halos in the image worry me. Someone more clued up will know better than I, but I think I have read in lense reviews thats a bad sign???

:ph34r:

Edited by CJS2

The blue edge/halos in the image worry me. Someone more clued up will know better than I, but I think I have read in lense reviews thats a bad sign???

It's known as chromatic aberration, the only way to avoid it is by using lenses made from ED glass

It's known as chromatic aberration, the only way to avoid it is by using lenses made from ED glass

There yah go, new someone would have a hadle on it, unfortunatly thats not good news Poldark :(

Question 'Ayjay', I have a selection of Nikon fit lenses, upto 300mm. Any sugestion on my best rout, I realy want to have a go at some of these wild life shots in the summer. Thought tubes might be an option, no glass to upset my pictures, any down sides? I have a Nikon D100 body . . . thats the camera not me, I'm inclined to baraling at the edges :P:D:lol::lol:

The question is open for anyone to answer, thankyou.