Converting slides to digital files

Ken L

There appear to be three options for converting slides and negatives to digital files for storage and display on a PC:

1. Go out and buy a scanner for £350 - £700 - Very expensive when all I want to do is convert my uncle's photo's of me, my brother and my cousins from when we were kids.

2. Use one of the compainies that offer their services on the web - Sounds good but I'm wary of sending off prised family photos (that arn't mine) to an unknown company where I may or may not see them again.

3. Try one of the digital camera adapters that seen to be available and simply photograph the illuminated slides one at a time - A complete unknown.

Has anyone actually tried doing this and can anyone make any firm recomendations for companies that offer this service ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hey, that's a bit good. Have you tried one Nick ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest NickInTheNorth

Not used that specific model, but several years ago I used a cheap xerox scanner to convert about 20000 slides for a museum. That worked no problem.

The sort of price you mentioned gets you into some serious professional uality kit.

Ken, I have an Epson 1250 photo scanner, comes with neg and slide holders. Here is a neg scan at 1200 dpi........

Negscan.jpg

You can get the inks cheap as well.

I think you should be able to get better quality with it than I have, I just put a neg in and pressed "Go"

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Guest franticfisherman2

I have had good results from a slide viewer/holder which screwed to the front of my video camera. I can save an image to the camera card (3 megapixel) for loading onto a PC or to video tape (640 x 480) for making a video for the TV. If you just buy the viewer/holder you will need a camera to fit it to using stepping rings. slide holder Hope this helps :)