Fly Fishing Abroad

Elton

I run a few links sites and get to see quite a few sites about Canadian and Alaskan Fly Fishing - has anyone here tried these places, or any other foreign shores?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No boss but anytime you have a free fly fishing holiday to give away to one of these locations I am your man ;);):lol::lol:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

fly fished in Cuba and in Spain, but its all been salt water stuff.

Will be off again in May with my new 12# outfit

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Ahhhhh, Cuba. Hope I get to go back there and do some fishing.

Been twice, but obly ever did a few trips out and with no real success :(

Snatcher - if I get offered a holiday, you won't see me for dust :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've not fished abroad myself (unless you count Wales as abroad?), but I know a few guys who have fly-fished for Salmon in Norway and Canada, Bonefish in Venezuala and Christmas Island, Striped Bass and Blues in Cape Cod, Redfish in Florida, Pelagics in Austrailia. Most of these trips have been self booked and self-guided too.

Hi Elton,

I've done the Canada trip a couple of times. Got all my info from the web. Stayed in Chilliwack BC both times. Fished for all 5 Salmon species both on fly and with lures, only got the Pink to catch for a full house. Also had a little bit of success with Sturgeon, around 200lbs being my best.

I can certainly recommend Canada as an outstanding fishing location certainly BC is. The scenery has to be seen to be believed, especially Vancouver Island, if only I were 30 years younger!!

Also Salmon fished in Ireland, mainly small spate rivers in Co. Galway and Co. Mayo.

Thinking about Australia and NZ. Oz for Barramundi and the many sea species. Perhaps some trout fishing in NZ. Still looking for a good deal!

Hope this helps?

Colin

I have more done more than just a bit of this 'have fly rod, will travel' stuff. Not mere 1- to 2-week agent-booked lodge packages, but months and months of independent travel and in-depth fishing from the ground up over a number of years, long before or at least some time before all the guides and their paymasters arrived. By and large, I had a fabulous time - not just with Indian mahseer that many people know about now, but with salmon, sea-trout and trout in Iceland, and with the latter two species in Argentina and Chile. I looked at an old notebook the other week and found that I had had just under 300 double-figure foreign-caught sea-trout, eleven twenty-pounders to 27.75 pounds among them (and all these as I was figuring out ways and fly patterns that would catch them; a lodge-based fisher, fishing for the same amount of time as I did, would probably quadruple the number now)...

To my mind, though, there there is a definite downside to all this 'hop on a plane and cast away' stuff, and it is the effect that 'super-sexy fly fishing' can have on anglers and angling in countries which, after the first few independent-fisher pioneers have been through, suddenly become must-do, big-bucks "Destinations" on the International Flyfishing Circuit. Sudden, often highly covert and devious, big-money buy-ups and closures of waters long available at accessible cost to local flyfishers being a major problem in the last region that I did in depth during the 1990s and early '00s (twenty-two months solid fishing) - Argentina and Chile. Local fishers in these countries (and I am not talking poor, baitfishing, meat-hunter 'peasants' now, but everyone right up to top-flight flyfisher professionals in the countries concerned) lost virtually ALL of the good to half-decent water to outfits setting up and running rich men's fishing playgrounds, in the space of a very few, barely comprehensible to the local-fisher victims, years. Not merely bad for anglers but bad for the very future of Angling, in my opinion: fish and fisheries will only survive, now and in the future, if LOTS of people value them; no amount of fencing, gates, locks, bailiffs or even dog-handling security men will be able to save them from the chilly environmental winds that now blow.

So, if you do decide to travel abroad to fish, then, I suggest you do what I and similarly minded, responsible fishers do before booking: take a very good look at just what you are considering buying into. SOME outfits, lodges, operators and destinations are fine - local people in the countries continue to get a look-in and benefit financially from all the fluff flickers who descend on them and their rivers in due season. Many others, however, are most definitely NOT, and merely pander to the egos of fishers (NOT 'Anglers', that would be a misnomer for such sorts) who, to my mind now, just couldn't care a toss.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

I fished in the UK.....does that count? LOL.

Colin, them pesky Salmon ruin a good day trout fishing don't they.. over here they don't understand that ptn's and the like aren't meant for them..

IF YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE THE BEST

Don't seek a second opinion.

http://www.anglingireland.info

Fish Paintings

Linocut fishy prints..

Colin, them pesky Salmon ruin a good day trout fishing don't they.. over here they don't understand that ptn's and the like aren't meant for them..

Many a true word spoken in jest.

NEVER underestimate, guys, just how much how much those - well, the Smart, Traditional, Control-Freak Variety, People of Substance who REALLY value their Privacy - who fish for Spotties With A Salmo Tag and a True WILD Pedigree ("Well, only oiks go after the other stuff... we're probably selling it to them, after all..."), ANYWHERE, not just here, quietly despise (amongst themselves, discreetly and charmingly, of course) the likes of US (but, by God, HOW they need us to make up numbers!). Takes one to know one etc.......

Edited by Paul Boote

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

Good first post Paul but you lost me on the second one.

I have fished in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming (Yellowstone) and had a great time. The fishing is almost always public and simply involves the purchase of a state licence. A lot of the rivers are in national park areas or forestry commission land so there are free campsites right next to the water. The scenery is magnificant and the fishing equally good - not as good as NZ but then again its not a 24 hour flight. Fishing there or NZ avoids the expoitative element of destination fishing that Paul describes. I remember fishing on the Fire Hole next to Old faithful - snow, Elk, volcanic springs bubbling away and very spooky fish rising to blue winged olives.