Fly Fishing Abroad

Elton

Good first post Paul but you lost me on the second one.

You clearly haven't dined with (and, on a few occasions, had fish with you - in Argentina) extremely well-to-do Brits who without irony could speak a line like: "The Kiwi trouting is doubtless very fine, but is horribly public." Verbatim quote from a man I once knew who had fished the world many times over.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

Basil Fawlty to the old bat, guest from hell, Mrs Richards.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And when the Americans hit the IMAX screens with this 3D megabucks international feature...

http://www.flyfishermedia.com/about.html

I tell you, guys, we are lucky to be fishing for stuff the smart set don't want.

"What did you expect to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...?"

And when the Americans hit the IMAX screens with this 3D megabucks international feature...

http://www.flyfishermedia.com/about.html

I tell you, guys, we are lucky to be fishing for stuff the smart set don't want.

I wonder where they will be fishing. I will be tempted to watch it though!

Re - the Falklands. I looked at there for sea trout but was put off by the 2k flight cost on an RAF Hercules - the only direct flight. Were you in the army?

I wonder where they will be fishing. I will be tempted to watch it though!

Re - the Falklands. I looked at there for sea trout but was put off by the 2k flight cost on an RAF Hercules - the only direct flight. Were you in the army?

The Falklands sea-trouting, even at its best, doesn't come within a whisker of the South American mainland stuff - I knew people (people I considered old and firm friends at the time) who had fished the Falklands in depth before fishing with me on TDF and in Patagonia: "no comparison" was their universal opinion by the end of their first day's mainland fishing, after I had put them onto and into fish to 14 pounds and into much bigger ones by the end of the week.

I posted summat about that IMAX film production on another board last night, a real pukka fly affair, entitled "The River Runs Through It Effect"

http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/theboar...t=NW;f=4;t=3564

Some interesting responses.

of course paul, i forgot anything you had done was better than anything anyone else had done :)

and no sewinman i wasn't in the army, i was making a television program over there. luckily we didn't have to fly on a hercules, we had the luxury of a tristar which now (i think) is the regular plane they use. still about 2 grand though

of course paul, i forgot anything you had done was better than anything anyone else had done :)

Bitter, over-competitive, little bugger, aren't you, Jeep?

am i paul, all i did was mention a location where i've fished, you then name dropped a few more locations, and then droned on a bit about how big the fish were you'd put people on to.

seems you're the bitter one :)

i was merely making a joke paul, that's why i put a smiley face after the words you find so bitter and over competitive.

:)

look there's another

:)

and another

stop taking yourself so seriously and you'll find the world is a much nicer place :)

Edited by jeepster

Falklands eh, Jon!

You weren't doing a most haunted out there where you?

Did you catch any of the fabled sea trout? I had friends visit there last year birdwatching and they where knocked out by the place.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

the place is amazing tony, the fish may not be the biggest in the world, but the location more than makes up for that. i'm no bird watcher but even i was impressed with what i saw. (i'll try and find my penguin pictures)

no, we weren't doing most haunted, i was making a show about the history of the navy, it went out a couple of years ago.

the falklands is one of the few places i've been with work that i'd seriously consider going back to and paying my own way.