White Swan Piscatorials

Guest Brumagem Phil

Guest Brumagem Phil

Any white swan members here?

I was thinking of joining BUT their recently opened cofton reservoir is not night fishable and the only other water they have which really interests me is the holt fleet section of the severn. At around 160 quid for the first year, it seems a bit heavy to me (they have loads of waters if you fancy chucking fluff, but thats not really my thing).

Anyone know if they are likely to introduce some form of associate membership (maybe a choice of just 2 waters which can be fished or something?)......or does anyone have any other suggestions of sensibly priced clubs to join etc....

They have some nice water above Bewdley but £160 a year is a bit steep compared to the price of a BAA or KDAA card.

I don't know anything about the club or whether they flog limited season tickets or daytickets though.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Guest Brumagem Phil

I'm not sure they do matthew, although they seem to send out mixed signals. In their blurb they say the club was setup so the average working bloke has access to excellent fishing at a cheap price.

I guess if you use all their facilities then its not too dear as night fishing is allowed on the river sections and some pools (something many syndicates charge plenty for these days). The thing is, they have some odd rules too like members only being able to fish one rod....someone even proposed changing it to 2 rods at their AGM but got voted down by a big margin.

Maybe its just me being a cheapskate, but once you've added in a few other fees, plus the fact all their fisheries (bar cofton) are 50 miles round trip each time to get to and I wont be able to afford any bait to fish with! LOL

Must admit, if night fishing had been allowed on cofton, i'd have gone for it :(

Guest Brumagem Phil

Cofton will be a nice fishery once they've finished with it (and its had a little time to mature)........I went up a few times in the autumn and catapulted a tin of doggy biscuits over the fence each time and the carp came up and took em like they were starving!!!

Nice carp too, although not huge (they only stocked around 100 fish over 10 lbs I believe)....commons, mirrors of all kinds and some lovely ghosties and koi........the ghosties in particular were very bold in their colour differentiation.

I used to fish home pool at blythe waters and often did an hour or two into dark but now they have a night syndicate so thats out the window as they want 150 quid just to fish that one pool..........and its not huge, has no fish over 30 and has two ropes cross it due to the power lines!!

Coombe pool in coventry is brilliantly priced but again is a good drive for me (60 miles round trip) so no good for regular evening fishing (my main type of fishing) and there are serious issues with car safety i'm told.

Seems soooo hard to find something which suits my needs :(:(:(

Guest Brumagem Phil

Well i'm not what you'd call a genuine night fisherman either...no bivvy and love my own pit too much to stayup all night, but do enjoy fishing well into dark.....after all its when the best fishing is :)

Wouldnt fancy night fishing Lifford :unsure:

I fished blythe lots last year but only 2 or 3 times this year.......it is quite a nice fishery, but yes 150 quid a year seems a bit heavy given its size and stamp of fish.

Guest NickInTheNorth

Just to be controversial I feel the need to ask why you feel that £3 per week is too much to pay for somewhere it sounds as though you would like to fish?

When you think of the cost of fishing a day on a commercial pool it sounds quite reasonable to me. I guess that when they say:

club was setup so the average working bloke has access to excellent fishing at a cheap price

they mean what they say. But it probably only applies if you fish their waters a lot. Certainly if I lived anywhere in the area I would seriously consider joining.

Edited by NickInTheNorth

I wouldn't bother with the White Swan Piscatorial as I used to know a member who was but I did find it hard to gain a membership. I wonder if it easy to get in now?

Brumagem Phil there is a place not far from you if you want night fishing but again it is the price you have to pay when doing night fishing.

http://www.larfordlakes.co.uk/specimen_lake.htm

I don't know this have change but worth taking a look.

Also there another lake nearby at Barnt Green Reservoir but there a large waiting list. I was a member for a few years years but "they" were thinking of doing night fishing but I don't know if they have enforce it

I will send it to you want the information if you want it (PM Me) it but again there is a waiting list and the price of the membership is high!

Edited by Andrew Burgess

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Guest Brumagem Phil

Nick.........you are right to a point, but specially during the warmer months I fish almost every day (normally of an evening due to other commitments) and as such I have to add in the price of bait, and if I do the rivers then the price of fuel etc plus a couple of night lights etc.... Ad it up and its at least 10 quid everytime I go which is ok if its once or twice a well but on a daily basis it starts to get a bit pricey (for my limited budget anyway).

White swan would have been ok if night fishing was allowed at cofton as its literally on my doorstep so would not only save me the 3 quid a time fishing fees I pay elsewhere, it woud also save me in fuel as its 4 miles round trip as opposed to 12 or 20 for the other places.

I went online the other day and found a wholesaler who can supply sacks of hemp, halibut pellets, bottles of molasses etc and I made a list which came to 140kg of bait for around 100 quid..........I'm kinda thinking that maybe i'd be better off splashing out on this and fishing many of the town waters and free pools there are around.

Just thinking aloud anyway really, and i'm sure i'll find somewhere to wet my line and catch quality fish whatever happens......thanks for taking the trouble to reply though nick, much appreciated. Whens the next hearing by the way?

Andrew, I actually took the time to look at BGR the other week actually. I've always known it was there but never actually stopped to look at it........sure is a nice place! I dare not imagine how much a membership is for a place like that and I can imagine the waiting list is a "dead mans boots" jobbie. Thanks for the suggestion though..........I might fish larford this year, as its somewhere i've always fancied fishing but not got around to yet.

Guest NickInTheNorth
I went online the other day and found a wholesaler who can supply sacks of hemp, halibut pellets, bottles of molasses etc and I made a list which came to 140kg of bait for around 100 quid..........I'm kinda thinking that maybe i'd be better off splashing out on this and fishing many of the town waters and free pools there are around.

Just thinking aloud anyway really, and i'm sure i'll find somewhere to wet my line and catch quality fish whatever happens......thanks for taking the trouble to reply though nick, much appreciated. Whens the next hearing by the way?

The bait plan certainly sounds a good one - if the whole whack is a bit much for you in one go why not see if there is anyone nearby that would like to share with you. Half the costs to each of you now, then the same again later in the year? Just a thought. Which wholesaler did you find?

Like I said, just like to be a bit controversial now and again!! :D

Next hearing is Thursday, thanks for asking, I'll be letting you all know how I get on.

Guest Brumagem Phil

I think its collection only if I recall so perhaps would be a bit dear for you once your travel costs were added in? Have a look anyway..........certainly cheaper than some of the tackles shop prices.

Good luck thursday.

Edited by Brumagem Phil