New PB Perch

fruitloopy

I have just started targeting Perch and I have been studying Steve Burkes articles on this. I went to my local Carp/commercial water as I am quite sure there are some big perch in there. I asked the owner if I could fish on until dark and use live & dead baits and he said I could.

I used my float rod and a single maggot on a size 18 hook to catch my bait. After 4 or 5 catches I hooked onto a nice Rudd of about 10oz. Then I hooked onto something a bit bigger, a 1lb Perch! Lovely looking fella as well, hooked on a single red maggot.

I thought 'If thats what I can get from this place on a single red maggot just imagine what a live or dead bait can get me!'

Sadly this was not to be. A jack pike invaded my swim but once I hooked him he went off for a sulk.

My dead bait had several runs but nothing hooked.

My live bait kept snagging me up. I had hooked a 3 inch roach through the lip on a size 6 hook under a float. The float was able to take a fair amount of weight so I hoped this would slow the little bugger down but he was able to swim around and managed to find all the sunken tree branches he could.

I did have a great bite at dark on this live bait though but missed it.

Steve Burke, if your out there (or anyone else for that matter) how do I successfully use a live bait under a float so that he doesnt keep moving around?post-14080-1219053874_thumb.jpg

Hi firstly I would say dead baiting for perch is not very productive unless you keep moving the fish as in wobbling it. (I also find this more likely to attract pike than perch)

Use a grayling float (perch bobber) or a very small sliding bung. Fish the fish just above the snags. It can then only swim in circles.

Spray maggots around the float as this will attract small fish and hopefully the perch.

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

You're off to a good start Fruitloopy. Off the top of my head a float paternostered livebait might be the answer to your problems with the snags as it restricts the range of the bait. One thing is though don't have it fixed. I've actually seen Perch in clear water, harrang a bait without any indication at all on the float, then take the bait before rejecting it as quick as lightning as soon as the tension of the paternoster was felt.

If I were having the troubles you seem to be I might: Dependent on range e.t.c.

Set up a bomb of around 3/4oz or around that with a link of around a foot or two to a swivel. Attach a small chubber style float of maybe 1 or 2 swan shot. I'd set it at one and a half or two times the depth of the area you were fishing. I would also add at least half of the loading directly underneath the float. Slide the bomb swivel up the line add a couple of micro beads then attach the hook trace which I would then make a good bit longer than the bomb trace.

I would then cast a few feet just short of where I wanted the bait to end up, wind down tight to the bait so that the float is cocked and tight then open the bail arm and put the line in a light bobbin to keep it from flying all over the place and also to act as another indicator or just put the baitrunner on the lightest possible setting and pay a little line out.

It more recent Perching session are anything to go on I would then blank.

Edited by dant

You're off to a good start Fruitloopy. Off the top of my head a float paternostered livebait might be the answer to your problems with the snags as it restricts the range of the bait. One thing is though don't have it fixed. I've actually seen Perch in clear water, harrang a bait without any indication at all on the float, then take the bait before rejecting it as quick as lightning as soon as the tension of the paternoster was felt.

If I were having the troubles you seem to be I might: Dependent on range e.t.c.

Set up a bomb of around 3/4oz or around that with a link of around a foot or two to a swivel. Attach a small chubber style float of maybe 1 or 2 swan shot. I'd set it at one and a half or two times the depth of the area you were fishing. I would also add at least half of the loading directly underneath the float. Slide the bomb swivel up the line add a couple of micro beads then attach the hook trace which I would then make a good bit longer than the bomb trace.

I would then cast a few feet just short of where I wanted the bait to end up, wind down tight to the bait so that the float is cocked and tight then open the bail arm and put the line in a light bobbin to keep it from flying all over the place and also to act as another indicator or just put the baitrunner on the lightest possible setting and pay a little line out.

It more recent Perching session are anything to go on I would then blank.

Is there any chance you could make a diagram of this? I may be able to get my head around it a bit better that way. I think I know what you mean though. :huh: