Crazy Clock ..

MrWiggly

It could be the clock chip itself on the motherboard, you might need to upgrade or re-flash the BIOS,

NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED

If flashing goes wrong PC can develop a terminal illness.

If you can lie on the floor without holding on, then you’re not drunk.

I Can Only Please One Person A Day, Today Isn't Your Day, Tomorrow Isn't Looking Good Either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your clock issue begins to sound like some bad memory. Maybe.

If you have more than one stick, start swapping and running without one for a while. If the problem reoccurs, swap again until you've tried running a while with each memory stick out of the PC.

Get SP2 installed.

have you set the time and date in the bios, also you might want to try flashing your bois as this sometimes works.

but be very careful as this can kill your system, check your bios time and date first then go read up on your motherboard manufactures website re-bios flashing.

good luck.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

• 2 weeks later...

Evenin' All ....

Despite all the helpfull advice from this board and other places, which I have followed, this problem still persists. :(:angry:

I have had to reset the Time/Date 3 times in the last hour just to stay in touch with various sites on the net, including this one !!! :yucky::yucky:

I am now convinced that the only way to go is to upgrade my whole system.

As I do a lot of photography work, using progs like PSP and Photoshop, I need a system that will provide me with the best and quickest results.

Would I be better off going for a professional (and expensive !) system .. or could I upgrade my current system and use some of the components that I have already ? My 160G hard drive/DVD Drive/Sound card/Video card/CD drive/ Floppy Disc Drive and Monitor all seem to be fine.

Is it worth my while buying a new case and motherboard and using my existing components that are working OK ? Or shall I throw the lot in the bin ... and dig into my wallet ???

Advice appreciated ...... :D:D

Wiggly.

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Guest NickInTheNorth

Short answer, probably worth doing the upgrade, new motherboard, and additional RAM would probably sort your problems.

Without knowing the spec of everything inside the box it is tough to give a definitive answer.

However it should be added that a new pro ystem should not be that expensive these days, some amazing kit out there for 4 to 5 hundred pounds

Update ....

Had a good look at master drive C ... decided that it was a bit short on space, and full of old/unwanted cr*p. :angry:

Spent a couple of days doing following ...

Transfer all important stuff from drive C to backup.

Reformatted drive C Eliminating all files and leaving me with a "clean" disk.

Installed Win 98.

Installed XP upgrade to Win98.

Reinstalled all favourite progs/Internet sites etc...................

Reset Time/Date.

XP2 not installed .... no Win updates installed.

ScanDisk/Defrag

Pc has now been running for 6 days ..... Lots of space on Master drive C ..... and Time/Date has never faulted !!!! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Aint life weird ???? :o:unsure:

Edited by MrWiggly

The Older I get .. The better I was.

Guest Ferret1959
Update ....

Had a good look at master drive C ... decided that it was a bit short on space, and full of old/unwanted cr*p. :angry:

Spent a couple of days doing following ...

Transfer all important stuff from drive C to backup.

Reformatted drive C Eliminating all files and leaving me with a "clean" disk.

Installed Win 98.

Installed XP upgrade to Win98.

Reinstalled all favourite progs/Internet sites etc...................

Reset Time/Date.

XP2 not installed .... no Win updates installed.

ScanDisk/Defrag

Pc has now been running for 6 days ..... Lots of space on Master drive C ..... and Time/Date has never faulted !!!! :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Aint life weird ???? :o:unsure:

So not good me looking in your rubbish bit for a scrap pc then? :( :(

:D