Groundbait mixed with tapwater?

Rusty

All,

Rusty, seriously, pay attention to detail and don't just slop some stuff together. I think it is important to remember 5% of carp fishermen catch 80% of the fish. Accident??

English Matchmen can probably tell similar stories.

Phone

This is an interesting topic, and it has raised a couple of questions for me:

1. Would pouring a glass of tapwater (same temperature as the lake water) into your baited swim have any effect on fish?

2. When boilies are made either at home in small amounts or commercially in huge amounts, what type of water is used in the boiling process?

Any ideas?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Also, does your house have a water softener, and do you use softened or unsoftened :unsure::unsure:

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Very interesting questions Anderoo but unfortunatly I do not know the answer to either. However if you subscribe to the theory around washed out baits and give your boilies a good steep in lake water, then it would make perfect sense if you made your own to boil them in the water they are intended to be used in.

Question 1 puzzles me more as I struggle to see the how such a small amount of water would have a good or bad effect in a huge body of water which would suggest that mixing at home would have no effect good or bad. Another however from keeping fish just adding tap water to a tank can have a huge effect on the fish BUT even a small cup of tap water in a tank is a major percentage of the water compared to a pond or lake. A bucket of water straight from the tap poured in to an african cichlid tank will spur them in to life and encourage them to feed hard not so good on South American species.

I am not swayed either way on whether tap water is good or bad as we deliberatly tamper with the contents of bait adding flavours, salt etc and so doubt the impurities in tap water would have a big enough negative effect to worry about it. I do belief washed out baits work well but I think this is more to do with the look and softness of the baits as much as the taste or smell from being in the water a long time.

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Personally I wouldn't for the simple reason that I have then got to carry heavy wet groundbait in a bucket to the venue and then around the lake to my chosen swim. Not having a barrow means I have to carry it and arrive in more of a sweaty heap than usual. Steve's suggestion of hemp water is a good one though - I have my own secret additive concerning which Steve is sworn to secrecy having spotted me adding it at the recent breamfest.

M

• Like 1

The reasons for the questions were:

1. What precisely is it in tapwater that could be offputting to fish?

2. Once groundbait is mixed with tapwater, do the substances in Q.1 get absorbed into the bait itself, or remain in the water/moisture?

Which then leads to:

IF there are identifiable substances in tapwater that are offputting to fish, that only matters if they get transferred from the water to the bait itself. If they remain in the water/moisture, they will just dissipate immediately once the groundbait is in the lake.

That's the reason I asked about boilies, as in that case the substances will remain in the bait itself mush longer, whether they are absorbed by the bait or just remain in the moisture.

Unless the offputting nature of those substances is neutralised by the boiling process!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Matthew raises a good point. I don't know about anyone else, but all the hemp (plus other particles) I've ever prepared have been boiled in tapwater!

The only thing I can imagine might be off-putting is chlorine. Boiling tapwater will drive off chlorine, and free chlorine will react with organic matter. There isn't going to be any left in your boiled hemp, nor I suspect in your pre-mixed groundbait after it has been sat for a while. The compounds formed when chlorine reacts with organic matter may be detectable by fish, but I doubt they would care.

• Like 1

Cheers Steve - so Rusty, it looks like the botom line is yes you can use tapwater to prepare your groundbait in advance (boil it first if you're worried about the chlorine), but it will be heavier to carry ;)