I keep losing the web

I moved house a month or so ago, and the computer has worked fine. But in the last couple of days I keep losing the web. I do the normal trick of turning the power to the router-modem off and on, and it comes back OK, but very often it only lasts a few minutes.

Is this likely to be a modem problem or a web problem or a line problem? Or something else? Thanks for any advice.

John

john clarke

Contact your supplier, google problems with them in your area, check with neighbours using the same supplier

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

Follow these steps:

Change all filters

Test

Move router to primary connection in socket ( no other devices connected to that socket, no extensions)

Test

Unplug all phones connected

Test

Unscrew front plate of main BT socket. Plug router into the connection inside.

Test.

If it still disconnects at the final state it's a line problem external to your wiring and BT will repair.

Any of the stages up to that will find your problem, or flag the router itself as the issue.

It could also be the ip profile of the line settling down. Though this usually occurs within about 72 hours of initial router connection it can happen occasionally. The line will disconnect until it finds a stable data throughout to settle at.

Edited by kirisute

If you are on ADSL remove the front cover from every extension socket and the master socket. If any of them have a wire connected to post 3 or 4 then remove them. Terminal 3 It is the old ringer wire and most new phones don't need it but it can act as an antenna and pick up a lot of radio mush and noise. This noise can affect the signal to noise ratio of your DSL connection and cause symptoms similar to those you describe. Post 4 does nothing on a telephone system but many old school BT engineers fitted for c

"completeness" because it is the other wire in the pair that connects to post 3.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Contact your supplier, easiest thing to do. By messing with their " property " FILTERS ETC, you could end up being charged for replacing them if you damage them.

We have had problems since last October, all manner of stuff has been done, new routers, new telephone lines in, new boxes etc, resulting in today TWO BT ENGINEERS have been here all day looking for the problem, still cannot find it, coming back tomorrow.

Call your ISP and let them sort it out.

Mind you Kiri is a mine of information, top bloke and an expert he will help you solve it, :clap3:

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

Filters are not the property of your ISP. If your phone line provider is BT then the NT5 master socket socket faceplate is the demarcation point between "your" side of the connection and BTs side. You are permitted to remove the BT master socket faceplate, often your ISP will ask you to remove the two screws securing the faceplate so that you can attach a filter and your router to the test socket concealed within.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

One more thing Mr Tench, make sure that EVERY extension that has a phone, fax, Sky box that is connected to a 'phone extension socket needs a filter, not just the socket with the router attsched.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I phoned my supplier, EE, and spoke to a guy with an Indian accent and a very quiet voice. I couldn't really understand what he was saying, and he seemed to have difficulty understanding me, also. Whether he changed anything as a result of our conversation I'm not sure, but things are somewhat better, though it can still be very slow.

Kirisute, there are just 2 phone sockets in use in the house, both have filters. There is a phone in the hall, and in my office (the primary socket) there is a phone and the router-modem. Am I right that you are suggesting that, when I have trouble with the web, I should disconnect the phone in my office and see what difference it makes?

Thanks

John

john clarke

It's a process of elimination mate.

Standard procedure for any ISP is to follow the route of the phone line.

Change filters

Change extensions

Remove phones

Put router direct into BT test socket inside BT main connector box.

That's the standard process most ISPs will talk you through.

As Cory says: any phone or device that accesses the phone line will require a filter between it and the port. So sky box, fax machine, phone, answer machine etc

However...all a filter does is prevent a phone call disconnecting a broadband signal....ie you don't hear the modem sound during a phone call and a phone call won't disconnect your internet.

Best practice is to take the chance and plug the router into the test socket inside the main BT socket. This will disconnect ALL internal devices in your house and mean your router is directly connected to your phone line.

If you still get disconnects it's then either your line or your router.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I phoned my supplier, EE, and spoke to a guy with an Indian accent and a very quiet voice. I couldn't really understand what he was saying, and he seemed to have difficulty understanding me, also. Whether he changed anything as a result of our conversation I'm not sure, but things are somewhat better, though it can still be very slow.

Kirisute, there are just 2 phone sockets in use in the house, both have filters. There is a phone in the hall, and in my office (the primary socket) there is a phone and the router-modem. Am I right that you are suggesting that, when I have trouble with the web, I should disconnect the phone in my office and see what difference it makes?

Thanks

John

Just ask to be put through to someone in the uk. I had similar issue a while ago with our offices isp and couldnt understand a word. just be polite about it.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk