memory cards

paul mc

Hi

I have recently bought myself a new camera which can take either compact flash,compact flash II(which i belive is microdrive) and XD.When i got the camera it came with a compact flash card but when i try and shoot on continuos shooting i can only get 4 pics at a time i belive this maybe down to the card not being a high speed one. I am currently looking at some on ebay but which would be the best for speed and is microdrive any better than a standard card??????????.

thanks.

:)

Regards Paul Mc

continious shooting on my fuji gets a top 4 or final 4 i think i can take 40 shots but you still get 4 saved,you can get 40 in 2mb mode according to the book

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

XD cards are a lot quicker than CF, simply because the technology is a lot newer. as far as i know microdrive is as quick as you'll ever need, the pros use it so it must be of a certain standard

I use CF cards, at the moment I have a 2gig from 7dayshop.com, 5x Lexar 512's, a Fuji 1 gig, a microdrive (1 gig) and a few smaller cards. the Lexars and the 2 gig are high speed and you do see a differance when you are shooting fast. I think it's about 6 meg a second write speed.

My camera does have a good buffer though.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

I hear the Kingston Ultra x100 CF is a very fast card, but these cards are only as fast as the camera can handle. There is the x40 etc which are very very fast also.

Good point made by David about the Buffer, it has a lot to do with the speed, the 20D I have knocks of 5 shots per second, and stores around 23 photos. Had a go of a friends pro Canon 1d Mk2 camera, 8 shots per second up to over 40 shots ... its like holding a machine gun, and with 45 point AutoFocus and a good fast bit of F2.8 glass on the end, the results were amazing.

Paul, which camera is it? just to check what they say about the amount of shots - it could be your CF card is fine, and its the camera.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Guest Finepix

I've just bought the SanDisk Ultra II compactflash card.

To be honest the memory card was an afterthought when buying the camera, I purely went for this one because of the 'ultra' in the label :blink:

I'd spent so long on line trying to find the best deals that I couldn't really be bothered to look into the memory cards abilities.

You got a very good card there, with the 350D your card will not be much of an issue, you should not notice any real problems with any card used ... having a look at the cameras spec it is "2.8 fps for 14 JPEG or 4 RAW frames" which is very good .... only time you would maybe notice a problem is if you are locked on a subject such as a bird flying by, or a football match and take over 7 seconds worth of photos in continous shooting mode ... even then you may only have a second or two of delay after the 7 seconds worth where the camera is busy writing away ...... I would not worry about it at all.

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

I hear the Kingston Ultra x100 CF is a very fast card, but these cards are only as fast as the camera can handle. There is the x40 etc which are very very fast also.

Good point made by David about the Buffer, it has a lot to do with the speed, the 20D I have knocks of 5 shots per second, and stores around 23 photos. Had a go of a friends pro Canon 1d Mk2 camera, 8 shots per second up to over 40 shots ... its like holding a machine gun, and with 45 point AutoFocus and a good fast bit of F2.8 glass on the end, the results were amazing.

Paul, which camera is it? just to check what they say about the amount of shots - it could be your CF card is fine, and its the camera.

Gillies

The Camera is an Olympus E500 after looking here and doing a bit of googling i think a fast CF will be fine, is there any adavantage to having a microdrive over a standard card as i should imagine a micrdrive would me more prone to damage.

Thanks for the replys as well

:)

Regards Paul Mc