just starting out

spud mckay

im just starting out carping,

im after some ledger bombs but i dont know what to size to get,my local ponds have carp upto 27lbs,and other places i go have them to about 20,30 lbs,

but also this year im gonna try new fishing places

so what am i best getting 4 or 5 oz? or more

anyone help me out please

Whilst it's always handy to have a good selection of tackle to hand, I'd say that you'd be unlikely to need more than a couple of ounces, 3 at the most.

I use 5oz leads off the beach.....if it's a bit blowy :o

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I take it the ones you are buying are in fact Arlesey bombs Spud. The sizes you mention are suitable for coarse fishing lakes and slow rivers and not really heavy enough for carp fishing.

I assume the weights are 3/4oz, 5/8oz, 1/2oz, 3/8oz.

You should be looking at leads of around 2oz, 2.5oz and 3oz for carp angling. Also ensure your rod has a test curve high enough to handle the weights. A good all round average carp rod with a test curve of 2.75lb should suffice.

and don't think you have to buy leads in sizes based on the size of fish you hope to catch, as you seemed to assume in your first post. that's not the way it works, you use different weights according to the conditions where you're fishing and the rod you're using