Your Input Needed

Elton

I have a plan!

I want to create a huge glossary on angling terms - a complete A-Z. I can't do it myself, though.

In this forum, I have created topics A-Z.

The plan is to get every angling term beginning with each letter into each appropriate thread. Once each word has been added to www.askanglers.co.uk, I'll move it from the thread to the top post for that letter. This should stop duplicates.

It will all become a lot clearer as we go on.

Please remember: it would help to mention what area of fishing each 'term' is applicable to.

If you are prepared to supply any photos, even better.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes.

Perfect example of the kind of thing we are after would be;

Particles: Term used to describe a group of natural baits that are used as feedbait for coarse species and carp in particular. Most require soaking and boiling before use in order to soften and allow proper digestion by the fish. Popular particle baits are; hemp, chick peas, tares, maples, peas, beans, tiger nuts.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton, why not put a link to my article "British and American Angling Compared", the one that German web site tried to pinch despite it being my copyright? If you recall it finishes with a glossary of confusing angling terms. Many of the terms used by U.K. anglers are confusing to their American counterparts. What’s worse is that some words have different meanings in each type of English!

The article is at http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve07.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve - thanks for putting up that link. I'd forgotten about the excellent translation piece even though I had read it several years ago.

If you want to update it, you might want to consider explaining net when you speak of matches and a 'net' of fish. We would probably understand 'keep net' even though the only use over here of a similar device is a wire basket you can hang from the side of your boat to hold fish you intend to take home for eating.

It would also be interesting for US readers to know that most of your use of floats is in some fashion other than to suspend a bait in mid-water and provide bite indication by vanishing under the water.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• 1 month later...

It's okay - there's no rush :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• 2 months later...

Snatch - to take a fish illegaly from the water ?

So where did my name come from then :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We and our partners use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences, repeat visits and to show you personalised advertisements. By clicking “I Agree”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. However, you may visit Cookie Settings to provide a controlled consent.