Spotting faked or mislabeled internet/email photos

Newt

We all get emails containing amazing photos. Do you ever wonder if some of them are real or if the caption is accurate (tornado hitting somecity for instance) or if the photo has been doctored with photoshop?

If so, you can usually find out using http://www.tineye.com which will accept a photo from your PC or from an internet link, perform a fast internet search and give results showing where & when the photo has been posted.

To see how it works, go to the site and use this URL http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-production/images/3859/large/sedalia2.jpg?1345408261

My thanks to the weather site wunderground.com for the article containing this info.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You can also track your own photographs that people have stolen and claimed as theirs using Google. Open Google and Click on Images. In the search bar click the wee camera icon and paste in your own URL to the photograph you think may have been stolen, or upload the said photograph and Google will then search the web for you. It may take five minutes or so. I've used it to find a few photo's of mine that were used by websites without my permission or even an acknowledgement.

tineye.com seems to be faster than the google image search although, as you say, google will certainly do the job and its what I used to use.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President